• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I get another guinea pig?

Nutter Butter

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys. I currently have a guinea pig named Peanut (aka Nutter Butter) who is currently living alone. In the past, she had another piggie friend but she died due to illness. I've always wanted to get another friend for Peanut but this period in her life is the healthiest she's ever been and I'm afraid getting a new piggie might stress her out too much, or that they won't get along. Her old cage mate used to bully her a lot and we've had to separate them, and she was much less than healthy, even after we separated them. She seems happy without a friend too. What should I do?

She would definitely be happier with having a friend.
The reason you had to separate her from your other piggy is because they were not character compatible so their relationship wasn’t functioning. If you get a character compatible friend then they will be fine. The safest and best way to find a character compatible friend is with the help of a rescue centre. They can help find one of their piggies who needs a home which is matched to your piggy ensuring that they have a good bond and a successful relationship. If you buy a piggy yourself from a pet shop for example, then you don’t know if they are compatible so you would have to prepare for a bonding failure.

:agr: In rescue centres your piggy & another guinea pig can have bonding sessions to make sure they are character compatible. You should get a friend for your piggy Peanut (great name :)!)

Thank you for all the replies! I've been looking for a rescue shelter for a while but there don't seem to be any in my area. I'll keep looking though.

Back