• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I get another guinea pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guinea-Tia-Flossie

I have 2 female guineas living together, they get along fine but Tia (my 2 year old) is very much a loner! She was on her own for quite a while before i decided to get Flossie ( about 6 months..? she was a rescue piggy and they weren't sure of her age)

Anyway, I put them together and Tia loved having another guinea around....But after awhile she became alittle protective of her box. I took it out to see if it would change anything, but again she became protective over a corner.

Flossie has learnt that sometimes you just have to keep out of Tias way, and wait for her to love you on her terms.

So like i said Tia likes to be alone, but Flossie just seems alittle lonely. I don't want to split them up, as they arent doing eachother any harm (never had a fight or bitten) and get along really well when Tia wants a fuss but would another guinea make Flossie happier? They are both very friendly girls and would accept another girly in!

I have had my eye on a guinea for a week now and am very tempted! (if she is still there now, i hope so)

what do you think? :-\

Jeanette

What you describe sounds like fairly normal beaviour. Even with girls there is a boss and and underpig and its wise sometimes to stay out of the boss pigs way! ;) You can keep girls in larger groups in theory provided you have plenty of space but odd numbers are supposed to be difficult because they pair off and one pig is left out. Tough one!

You could get 2 more then it wouldn't be odd :D

Id get a neutered boar - he will think its heaven, having his own little harem, and I noticed that the girls quite often stick together to escape the randy male!

there will be so much activity going on in the cage that I dont think anyone will have time to be protective over their corners lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back