Should I get my guinea pig a friend?

BayleeAnn9328

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I here recently got a male guinea pig. I have been thinking about getting him a friend, the only problem is at the pet store they had to separate him because he would fight the other pigs:( but they said he should be housed alone so he or another pig wouldn’t get hurt but I worry he will get lonely ( I play with him all the time and he has floor time when I’m home but I think he’s still bored)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes your piggy needs a friend.
Guinea pigs only fight if they are not compatible. This is why the pet shop would have had to separate him - because they didn’t have another piggy he could be friends with. That does not mean that he will need to be kept alone - it simply means you need to find the right friend.
The best way is to go to a rescue centre and enlist their help in finding a character compatible friend. Character compatibility is the most important factor when bonding guinea pigs. They can try your piggy with other suitable piggies until a match is found.
If you were to just buy another piggy, then you would have no idea if they were compatible and you could end up with both of them not liking each other and having to live in separate cages.

Two Male piggies need a cage measuring 180cm x 60cm. Boars are more territorial so need more space

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Cage Size Guide

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with everything Piggies&buns said above.

You are doing a great job thinking about your boy and you are right - he will be so much happier with a friend of his own.
Human company can never replace a guinea pig friend.

ThomasThePiggyDad

New Born Pup
Reaction score
ok thank you I have a cage that’s a little bigger than that for him i will be looking for him a friend ASAP
Hi there!

We’ve just been through something similar (although we didn’t realise piggies couldn’t be kept as singles!). We found a reputable breeder in our area and we able to find a friend for Biscuit. We’ve inadvertently got (what can be) the most difficult combination as Teacake is also a boar. But I can say that once we’d introduced Teacake, Biscuit was noticeably a lot happier and more active!

Maybe you could look for a neutered sow? I’ve read on here that sow/boar combinations can be easier to work with. That being said, take the pet store’s words with a pinch of salt. As Piggiesandbuns said, it’s down to the personalities!

Good luck in your piggy search :)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Boar pairings are not most difficult if done properly and compatible companions are found. While a sow/boar pairing can be more stable, it is a misconception that boars are harder to bond.

Unfortunately going to a breeder carries the same risk as getting another friend from a pet shop - there is no guarantee of character compatibility, risk of missexing, risk of transmissible illnesses. We would not recommend finding a new friend via a breeder and would only recommend getting a compatible friend from a rescue centre.

Also, spayed sows are rare to come by because spaying a sow is generally only done as a medical need arises. If you want a sow for your boar, then you will need to get your boar neutered and then have the six week wait for him to become infertile before bonding with a sow but again, the sow needs to be of compatible character.

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All that I can add is that there are so many loving piggies waiting for their forever homes (don't shop, adopt!). :luv:

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
BAEEAC58-2C4D-46A8-88D4-9034FEEBA0A3.jpeg Meet Micah. I ‘rescued’ him from a pet store who had labelled him as having to live alone because he couldn’t live with other piggies.
He was 900g of scared, pathetic piggy who had been badly bullied.
He is now 1430g of healthy piggy, neutered, living very happily with his wives.

I hope you can find your boy a suitable companion- it will make so much difference.

LunaOreoPigz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, i agree with the above however if he is not getting along with any other guinea pigs the you could get a separator so he's not completelty lonely.

Darcey15

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As @Merab's Slave said, there is no reason for your boy to be alone and at this stage you have lots of options available to you depending on what you want to do. You could try a bonding service at a rescue centre if you have one within travelling distance- this is where they will match your boy to suitable partners for you. Or you could have your boy neutered and find him a lady friend (compatibility is everything though so again I would suggest a rescue). Or you could try bonding yourself but go in with the understanding that it may or may not work.
From personal experience, I would try to find a rescue first & see what your options are & take it from there. All the best & let us know how you get on 👍