• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Should I get my pig put down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can sympathise with the situation in a way, two of my past girls had joint problems which led to the inability to walk with their hind legs, but both suffered other ill health also, so anything short of a speedy recovery (within days) cut the odds on them recovering, and sadly neither did.

Lottie, who passed in December 2008, had minimal medical assistance as I was simply never told of what to do other than dosing her with anti-inflammatories. Gwenny, who passed two months ago, had a very intensive care regime: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=887685&postcount=130

Metamizol is not a medication I have ever heard of, are you in UK or another country?

I know you feel that she has enough Vit C, but I would personally be supplementing this anyway - nothing to lose in doing so especially when there is any chance, however small, that it can help. Dose is 50 - 100mg daily, I dosed Gwenny with 100mg even though she was eating by herself as well.

Another line of thought is calcium deficiency which can cause a paralysis-like condition: http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/paral.htm

I can sympathise with the situation in a way, two of my past girls had joint problems which led to the inability to walk with their hind legs, but both suffered other ill health also, so anything short of a speedy recovery (within days) cut the odds on them recovering, and sadly neither did.

Lottie, who passed in December 2008, had minimal medical assistance as I was simply never told of what to do other than dosing her with anti-inflammatories. Gwenny, who passed two months ago, had a very intensive care regime: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=887685&postcount=130

Metamizol is not a medication I have ever heard of, are you in UK or another country?

I know you feel that she has enough Vit C, but I would personally be supplementing this anyway - nothing to lose in doing so especially when there is any chance, however small, that it can help. Dose is 50 - 100mg daily, I dosed Gwenny with 100mg even though she was eating by herself as well.

Another line of thought is calcium deficiency which can cause a paralysis-like condition: http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/paral.htm

Josie is still alive, but she is becoming very thin, especially around her hind quarters. I am feeding her critical care 2-3 times a day and she is still eating paprica and fennel in small amounts on her own.

I'm an ex pat living in Germany, obviously Metamizol is not available in the UK.

She definitely doesn't have a calcium deficiency, she has eaten fennel on a regular basis since we have had her and that is very rich in calcium.

When I take Josie out of her cage her legs are very stiff, so I gently move them for a minute or so to loosen them up. Afterwards when I put her back she is able to walk a few steps but then inevitably she falls on her side as her hips are unable to support her weight. It is a vicious circle, I think that if she was able to move around more then she would be able to build up some more strength.

As long as she is still eating on her own and begging for food then i can't get her put down.

Did she have her spine x-rayed, it sounds very like our old dalmation who has spondylosis. She is treated with steroids ( I know not good for pigs but if nothing else works it may be worth a try), she also gets acupuncture and is a bit better with this too.
Sadly Deli is now on tramadol too because she was very sore and at the moment is doing very well. I have cats who have had acupuncture and heard of rabbits getting acupuncture so don't see why it shouldn't work with a pig. If you suspect a tumour an ultrasound scan may help pick it up. We have had pigs scanned with suspected ovarian cysts although our vets now have a digital x-ray machine and it shows things very clearly indeed.
Good luck.

I'm really sorry she is not well and it must be so hard for you, at least you are doing everything you can.

Obviously only you can decide when it's time to say goodbye.

But if it was me, and my pig couldn't walk around and was in pain, then I would get her put to sleep.

Am I right in thinking that she doesn't walk around at all, but sits in her house? I'm sure she is happy enough and you're taking great care of her but she is very old and may be coming near the end of her natural life anyway.

I'd say discuss it with the vet and ask if she's in pain and if there's any hope for recovery. And just think it over until you're 100% sure either way, good luck x x

I don't think she is in pain, but then how would I know if she was ? Her whole behaviour (apart from the fact that she doesn't walk) indicates a will to live, other pigs that we have had gave up eating before they died and wouldnt even swallow food from the syringe when we tried to force feed them. Josie takes critical care from the syringe and eats cucumber, paprica, carrot and fennel readily although she doesn't eat as much as the others.

She doesn't come out of her house much, although I caught her outside yesterday. She was always the most active of our animals and was by far the hardest to catch.

We'll keep going with her, I think we will know when the time has come.

It has happened so quickly.

Her spine wasn't x-rayed, just her legs and hips and the vet said that he could see that she had "slight" artritis in her knees.

So sorry to hear about your pig. Perhaps she is eating a little bit less, because she doesn't need as much energy when she's not running around? How's she doing?

Unfortunately we decided to get Josie put down on Tuesday. She stopped eating and didn't even have the energy to lift her head anymore. We made the right decision and I am pleased that Josie never had to suffer.

Thanks for all of your advice.

piggyshoot021.jpg

18122009Esweihnachtetsehr022.jpg

I'm really sorry for your loss but it sounds like you did the right thing at the right time and as you say, at least you could stop her suffering.

Josie looked like a gorgeous girl and she lived to a very good age so she must have been very well loved.

Has the vet mentioned scuvy at all? maybe try upping her vit c intake see if that helps. If you feel she still has some fight left absolutly dont have her pts. You will know when she has no fight left.

Unfortunately we decided to get Josie put down on Tuesday. She stopped eating and didn't even have the energy to lift her head anymore. We made the right decision and I am pleased that Josie never had to suffer.

Thanks for all of your advice.

piggyshoot021.jpg

18122009Esweihnachtetsehr022.jpg

Sorry i didnt see this :(

Rip little one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back