• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Should I isolate on suspected URI?

Bradshaw Piggies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
It seems such a shame now Odin and Thor are bonded, but Thor is showing an occasional breathing rattle? Not all the time, just sometimes. It worries me as that’s how Loki sounded before he went down hill and passed away.

We all know Odin isn’t the strongest, so should I separate them?

It seems such a shame now Odin and Thor are bonded, but Thor is showing an occasional breathing rattle? Not all the time, just sometimes. It worries me as that’s how Loki sounded before he went down hill and passed away.

We all know Odin isn’t the strongest, so should I separate them?

Please have Thor vet checked first and foremost and discuss the issue depending on the diagnosis. Chances are that if it is an infection, it will have already passed across if this has been going on for several days now.

Please have Thor vet checked first and foremost and discuss the issue depending on the diagnosis. Chances are that if it is an infection, it will have already passed across if this has been going on for several days now.
I’ve got him an emergency appointment for tomorrow morning. The last vet said if they all live in the same house, even separated they will still be exposed?

I’ve got him an emergency appointment for tomorrow morning. The last vet said if they all live in the same house, even separated they will still be exposed?

URI is usually transferred at close quarters. A quarantine means moving a piggy to another room. Please be aware that it can be a bond breaker if the bond is dodgy. Healthy guinea pigs can usually fend off URI in a companion and don't need separation; opinion is currently changing towards not to split bonded pairs because it is another major immune lowering factor they have to cope with unless it is really absolutely necessary.
Here is what a quarantine involves: Importance Of Quarantine

URI is usually transferred at close quarters. A quarantine means moving a piggy to another room. Please be aware that it can be a bond breaker if the bond is dodgy. Healthy guinea pigs can usually fend off URI in a companion and don't need separation; opinion is currently changing towards not to split bonded pairs because it is another major immune lowering factor they have to cope with unless it is really absolutely necessary.
Here is what a quarantine involves: Importance Of Quarantine
Thank you. I just worry that Odin is not the strongest of the group! He’s still a bit weak from being so poorly. Yet if I separate them, I don’t want him to be lonely 😔

Thank you. I just worry that Odin is not the strongest of the group! He’s still a bit weak from being so poorly. Yet if I separate them, I don’t want him to be lonely 😔

Best discuss the situation with your vet and any options they can help you to work around it.

Back