• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

should i keep my guinea pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
got my guinea pigs last year, ive now had a baby (3months old) and the only time i get to give the g pigs attention is when i clean them out (every 3 days) and quickly when i feed them every morn. i just have no time.
i feel so cruel their just left in the cage with nothing to do that maybe i should give them to someone whos got more time for them?
their always cleaned and fed but thats basicly it

I'm a big believer that when you take these animals on, you're taking them on for life.

I managed to find a decent balance when I had my daughter and I still managed to give the pigs (5 of them at the time) a good amount of attention when I went back to work full time after maternity leave. I understand how hectic it is having a new baby but it does get better.

By all means if you think you should rehome them, do, but for the guinea pigs as long as they have food, water, clean home and a companion it won't do them any harm to have a little less human attention for a while until things get a bit easier with your little one.

ah it's really hard finding any time for anything post baby isn't it?

I think only you know whether you feel you're being fair on your piggies, however as your baby gets older it will get easier, my son was about 4 months when we got our first boys, and he quickly grew to love watching them and would sit by the cage babbling at them- he's still the same now, at 15 months. Are you at home with the baby at the moment then? I don't have much free time as have two kids under three, but I let the piggies out for a wander round while I'm doing other stuff, so for instance if I'm cooking dinner I might shut the baby gates and stick some newspaper in the corner and some snacks and let them wander in the hallway, I also have an indoor pen, and put this up in the lounge in the day so they can watch me and the kids and get chatted to lots.

thank * both, i would rather keep them their such cuties.

yeah at home at the mo, i have a toddler too n she loves them, i keep then in their hutch in the garage n when i take her in she chats to them n feeds them hay lol.

thats a great idea having them wonder about id love to do that! i think soon as their on the floor theyl run away n hide their quite nervous with me.
do * find it easier in the summer? I'm thinkin when their out in the run theyl be more free n i can pet them while the kids play

thank * both, i would rather keep them their such cuties.

yeah at home at the mo, i have a toddler too n she loves them, i keep then in their hutch in the garage n when i take her in she chats to them n feeds them hay lol.

thats a great idea having them wonder about id love to do that! i think soon as their on the floor theyl run away n hide their quite nervous with me.
do * find it easier in the summer? I'm thinkin when their out in the run theyl be more free n i can pet them while the kids play

seriously, try having an indoor run, I have this one http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pens_with_racks/184159 and set it up like this in my lounge

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellsbells82/5355869600/]

The piggies do hide away when they first come out but soon get used to the noise etc and will pootle about, when I make my daughter lunch she'll ask for something for the piggies and I give her a little bowl and she sits and posts bits through the bars for them, and Fitz will eat out of her hand which she loves. If ours were outside they'd never see us as it's a pain getting both kids out there in this weather, so they live under the kitchen counter so they're used to us.

I am waiting for ours to start dancing to the Cbeebies winter song though- they must know all the words by now!

Last edited:
thats such a good idea thank you, i could def make room for something like this n my 2yr old would love it she already gets veg out the fridge n says 'gee pigs' lol aww!

thats such a good idea thank you, i could def make room for something like this n my 2yr old would love it she already gets veg out the fridge n says 'gee pigs' lol aww!

that'd be lovely, we originally got our piggies because we wanted the kids to grow up understanding how to respect animals etc, and I love having them in the middle of us (our indoor pen is new), and the fact the kids can chatter away to them all day, my daughter is 3 in a couple of weeks and she took an album full of photo's into her playgroup last week to show all her friends and I've bought her a book about guinea pigs for her birthday.

When my children were little I had my piggies in the lounge in a makeshift pen at floor level so the children could see them pottling around. Sometimes we would let them run free. The children had to sit down so that they didn't get too excited and step on one! They were a part of the family. My eldest daughter has piggies for her own daughters now. They are just the best pets for children, in my opinion. x)

Hi,

If they are anything like my piggies then food is their main concern!:))

I think if they have space to exercise, veggies and hay everyday and the company of another piggie they are generally happy. My guinea pigs are very shy even after handling reguarly so think they are less stressed when I'm not there lolx

I also found it really tough when my son was born but it does get easier. They have been relocated to the playroom and my son just loves watching them, cuddling them, etc. He often shares his breakfast with them too (I'm not so impressed with his generosity, though as he has nutella sandwiches which I find in the cage after a day or two when I clean them out!) :))

He often shares his breakfast with them too (I'm not so impressed with his generosity, though as he has nutella sandwiches which I find in the cage after a day or two when I clean them out!) :))
:)):)) my son went to the cage today while the boys were out, opened it, and took a piece of broccoli from their bowl and started eating it- I think he thinks he's part guinea pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back