• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Should I neuter my male piggies?

Peachylady

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve got 2 adorable male guinea pigs and the lady in the pet shop said I should neuter them - good idea? I’m worried they’ll get fat and lazy! Thanks for any advice you can give :)

Welcome to the forum.

As @Piggies&buns has said there is no need to neuter boars unless they are going to live with sows.
I’m curious as to why you were told to get them neutered.

Glad you found us and asked the question here.

There is no need to neuter, as mentioned above it only stops them being able to reproduce and doesn't change their behaviours at all. However my local rescue routinely neuters all boars that are young enough because it prevents them from being bred from but also because it gives more options in the future should one pass away. Basically at that point the remaining piggy could be bonded with either male or female.

Welcome to the forum.

As @Piggies&buns has said there is no need to neuter boars unless they are going to live with sows.
I’m curious as to why you were told to get them neutered.

Glad you found us and asked the question here.
We have just had our guinea pig neutered nearly week ago because turned out we had a boy and girl he’s really not been feeling himself since I’m hand feeding him he’s back at vets again Thursday ps it was nearly £90

I rescued two boars from a primary school, one was neutered by the previous "owner" who gave them to the school because she was told it would stop the scrapping. Obviously it didn't, and I see that for myself.

Back