• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I Put My 2 Boars Back Together Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I am in 2 minds what to do. Alby is chewing the bars that seperate him and Fudge. In a desperate attempt to get to him. He has taken the paint off and I am worried he will hurt his teeth. I have tried the Perspex before and Alby ate a big hole in it. Lol. Do I need to bath them before introductions. Also do you have to bath them at the same time? Eg two pigs in the basin at once as I don't think I could manage that. I am asking now as I got brand new cage liners and now would be an ideal time.

You do not necessarily need to bathe the boys, unless they have very recently been spraying each other with testosterone laden urine (although they, but if you prefer to bathe, do so one after the other with the same shampoo.There is unfortunaltey no guarantee that they will go back together, but in any case, you are bound to see some dominance behaviour.
Here are our tips: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/introducing-and-re-introducing-guinea-pigs.38562/

Ok thanks. I am about to set up the playpen in a neutral area. Yikes.

I don't think it's going well loud teeth chattering and rearing up. Then a stand off. Lol.

Ooh they are now more interested in the pile of lettuce. But I'm not overly confident yet. I'm a nervous wreck.

Give them some time. I sat far enough away not to bother them but had the oven glove at the ready. Just keep looking out for their behaviour.. Bottom line: if you see blood separate them immediately!

We have been through the same with our two and hope that we can now get them a girlfriend..

Good luck Julie! I know how much you want to have your lads back together. Just take baby steps, one at a time! x

They seem to be ok for now. Munching hay and veg together. I got new cage liners so wanted to have one last ditch attempt at bonding them again so I had fresh totally new bedding for them. Tonight was the last straw! Alby constantly chewing the bars to get to Fude and Fudge just sitting there looking at him. Lol.

At least if this doesn't work Julie, then you know you have tried everything you can!

I have a silly question, see any wooden toys they previously had do I have to bin them? As they can't be washed to get rid of scents.

I have a silly question, see any wooden toys they previously had do I have to bin them? As they can't be washed to get rid of scents.

Give them a wipe with a damp cloth, but only put them in if the boys settle down together so they cannot become possessive over them.

I won't be putting any toys in with them tonight if or WHEN they make up. Just hay trays and their food dishes. I also am going to totally re arrange the cage. This is going to be a long night. Lol. How long do I let them stay in the bonding pen for?

Ideally until after they have woken up from their first nap together and are still getting on, as that is often the trickiest point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back