• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I take them back?

Charlie10

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I just adopted two "boy" guinea pigs. I just got them yesterday but looking at their nether regions am convinced one is a girl and I think she has some buns in her oven. She is apparently 4 months old. Is there any practical solution? I would be happy to keep the boar but don't want him to be alone. I also don't want the responsibility of finding good homes for pups. Any ideas?

The first thing you have to do is to separate them. Then you need to double check both of them. How old is the boar?

If she is pregnant, then how you go about it is dependant on what she has. If she has two, and one is a boar, then they could be matched with dad. If you end up with sow pups then you could get dad neutered (if it’s allowed) and he can move in with the sows 6 weeks after the operation. The other option (if it’s all sow pups) would be to find him a boar he could live with. But you’d need a plan B in that situation, in case they don’t get on.

Are you planning to keep the pups?
Meanwhile have a read of the guides below. Also make sure that the boar can’t escape and get in with the sow.
Sexing, Pregnancy & Baby Care (forum members only)

The first thing you have to do is to separate them. Then you need to double check both of them. How old is the boar?

If she is pregnant, then how you go about it is dependant on what she has. If she has two, and one is a boar, then they could be matched with dad. If you end up with sow pups then you could get dad neutered (if it’s allowed) and he can move in with the sows 6 weeks after the operation. The other option (if it’s all sow pups) would be to find him a boar he could live with. But you’d need a plan B in that situation, in case they don’t get on.

Are you planning to keep the pups?
Meanwhile have a read of the guides below. Also make sure that the boar can’t escape and get in with the sow.
Sexing, Pregnancy & Baby Care (forum members only)
Thanks. I wasn't planning on having pups, although I could easily fall in love, I want a sensible number. I was told he is 7 months. Regarding whether the sow is pregnant I think so. her tummy is wide and touches the floor when she walks. I haven't prepared for this. Is the photo clear enough to see?
16013043381782047352098.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
I can only echo @Siikibam and add my support.
You have found yourself in a tricky situation.
Have you had them vet checked to confirm their sex and a pregnancy?

I am pretty sure. Do these pictures help?
Welcome to the forum.
I can only echo @Siikibam and add my support.
You have found yourself in a tricky situation.
Have you had them vet checked to confirm their sex and a pregnancy?
I haven't vet checked but feel she is and as she has been with males I suppose it's nearly certain. I am sure it is a female as I had guinea pigs as a child. I will separate them tomorrow and pray she has an only child.
IMG-20200928-WA0047.jpg

Your photo is a little dark but another way to tell is to compare. If the other is a boar then they will also have descended testicles.

Make sure not to feel her tummy too much. But yes, it’s best to assume she is pregnant seeing as she was with boars.

Hi, I just adopted two "boy" guinea pigs. I just got them yesterday but looking at their nether regions am convinced one is a girl and I think she has some buns in her oven. She is apparently 4 months old. Is there any practical solution? I would be happy to keep the boar but don't want him to be alone. I also don't want the responsibility of finding good homes for pups. Any ideas?
So did you take them or one back? I had that happen to me. Thought I had two girls. Nope. I did have the boy neutered. They were bonded could not separate. I am so glad didn't. What did you end up doing?

So did you take them or one back? I had that happen to me. Thought I had two girls. Nope. I did have the boy neutered. They were bonded could not separate. I am so glad didn't. What did you end up doing?
I have them both (I bond quickly). They are in adjacent cages as the girl is very pregnant. They both have super sweet personalities.

Back