• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I use different types of hay for bedding and feeding?

bubbles&pip

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I use fleece liners in my guinea's main hutch area and sleeping compartment, with hay for extra warmth in winter. I've noticed they eat the hay from their feeder AND their bedding hay. Meadow hay seems much softer than Timothy hay, and therefore perhaps better for bedding. But Timothy hay is more nutritious. Should I use Timothy hay for both areas, or use different types for the different areas?

It’s absolutely fine that they eat the bedding hay. Meadow hay is perfectly good enough for them to eat and it is the most suitable type of hay for bedding due to it being softer.
Timothy hay is not suitable for bedding as it is too sharp and can contribute to haypoke injuries. It is safest to keep Timothy in hay racks.
My two are bedded on meadow hay and have Timothy in their hay racks to eat, but will eat their bedding as well.

It’s absolutely fine that they eat the bedding hay. Meadow hay is perfectly good enough for them to eat and it is the most suitable type of hay for bedding due to it being softer.
Timothy hay is not suitable for bedding as it is too sharp and can contribute to haypoke injuries. It is safest to keep Timothy in hay racks.
My two are bedded on meadow hay and have Timothy in their hay racks to eat, but will eat their bedding as well.
Thanks, that's really reassuring to know someone is thinking the same as me! Pets at Home sell bags of Timothy and Meadow hay mixed together (though I think it's about 80% Meadow Hay!). It costs more than a bag of just Meadow hay, so I'll stick to that for their bedding!

How much meadow hay do you use? Ours just get Timothy hay and are indoor piggies (except daytime when the weather is good).

Back