• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorothy Uranga

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I do really enjoyed my dear Chispita's company and I'd like to have another baby. His cage is very empty and I feel kinda lonely, to be honest.

The bad thing is that I don't have a work, I'm still living with my parents but I think I'm going to teach some mathematics to kids of my area, so I can win some money for the basic need and, why not, if there's any emergency.

Chispita was my very first guinea pig, the other guinea pigs I told about in my last threads were of my sis, but I'm still feeling guilty because they got sick and died.

After a lot of researching I learned a lot about these babies and then, my baby Chispita lived his 5 years with a very good health.

I don't know why I'm still feeling like I shouldn't and then like I do really want to, maybe I need some opinions, what do you think, should I have another baby?

you have to do what you can afford - but, guinea pigs are social animals and should really have at least one more guinea pig as a companion.

I'm really sorry to hear about Chispita. You obviously have a lot of love to give to a piggy but only you know when the right time is and you can't rush grief. Getting a new piggy doesn't mean that you love Chispita any less

Getting new guinea pigs doesn't mean that you are replacing Chispita. Love is like a river that carves a new channel when the old one is blocked. But the old riverbed will always remain engraved in your heart. Each guinea pig creates its unique bond; there are never two the same.
It is the same if you had children - you'll love your first child to bits, but you won't love the next one any less, nor the one after - you will just love each of them in a different way.

However - please make it two guinea pigs! Guinea pigs live in groups and they are not really wired to be on their own. And you get to enjoy the lively interaction which is making guinea pigs so special. But you will have to think hard about how to finance their upkeep and medical cost. Guinea pigs are ground roaming animals that actually need a lot of space and are much more happy when they get it. We have got lots of information at the top if our various Care sections that you may find interesting. Things have changed so much in the few years!
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/companionship.37654/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/cage-size-guide.120795/

Yes, you all are right. I'll love Chispita forever but that doesn't mean I can't love another baby.

I will start doing some extra money, hope someone will be interested. That's the bad thing, I can't have a formal job for now.

Anyways, I'll search if anyone's giving up for adoption near my area. Maybe it will take some time, too.

By the way, thanks a lot :) I'll be updating of course.

Hey I have some news!

I found someone who are giving up for adoption near my area, I'd like to have a male and a female, but at the same time I think I need more info before something happens. The babies are 6 weeks old, by the way!

Any advice before I continue? Thanks a lot, again :) I'll continue reading, of course.

my concern with getting a male and a female is you will need to keep them separate or have the male neutered (and given your dissatisfaction with your vet its worth thinking about whether you would trust them to do the op). Even if you go for neutering they will need to remain separate for at least 6 weeks post op otherwise you could end up with a pregnant piggy.

At a few weeks old they can mate I believe, same sex pairs are a better option, especially as you've said - funds are short you won't be able to neuter the boy, you also don't seem to have been able to locate a good exotic vet atm, that would do the neutering.

So my advice is a same sex pair, or find a rescue adopting out a neutered male and female.

Male guineas can mate from a very early age which is why it is recommended that baby males are removed from their mums and sisters at 3-4 weeks.
Maybe another male would be best? You don't want to end up with a pregnant guinea if your funds are tight. Then there would be the problem of finding homes for them all.

At what age they start to mate?

Boars can make babies from 3-5 weeks old and sows have their first season between 4-6 weeks. It is sadly very likely that the little girl is already pregnant.
If you want to keep them for any length of time, you will have to either keep them apart all the time with interaction through the bars or find the money for a neutering operation (possible from 4-6 months of age) plus another 6 weeks post op wait.
Here are the biological details. We sadly deal in our pregnancy section regularly with tiny shop or breeder bought mums due to not separating early enough or mis-sexing. :(
http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-guide.109375/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back