• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Should Their Poops Smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex&GizmoMama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've always wondered, as we only have the 2 guineas so no comparison, how much should normal guinea poop smell?

Our 2 boys poop seem to smell, especially Rex's bad. You notice it strongly when you do his daily poop clean out.
It's always been like this, we've had them about 5 months and they're 1year - 16 months old. Their poops seem perfectly normal otherwise, not soft, not funny colour, just like poops in everyone else's pictures, and neither of them struggle pooping.
They have a happy appetite. With a diet of bunny pellets, timothy hay, meadow hay for play, and vegi's mixed between pepper celery broccoli cucumber very occasional lettuce and fruit/carrots once a week for treats. Water drinking is also not a problem for them, plenty there.

So what's a normal level of stink for boy guineas poop?
Or is smelly poops a sign of needing a vet trip?

Some foods like parsley can make poos stinkier. Poos also develop as they age. The aroma is at its fullest at about 1-2 days old.

It's the broccoli making their poops smell really bad. Brassicas they call certain veg and it's these types of veg that make poops smell. XD

oki cool.
so normal for a little whiffy?
I aim to poop scoop twice a day, morning & night.
We'll try cutting out the broccoli for a bit and see if there's improvements.
Could other herbs also do it like the parsley does?

....currently got the noisiest piggy, following me around every single step constantly squeaking and chatting to me :hug:....

oki cool.
so normal for a little whiffy?
I aim to poop scoop twice a day, morning & night.
We'll try cutting out the broccoli for a bit and see if there's improvements.
Could other herbs also do it like the parsley does?

....currently got the noisiest piggy, following me around every single step constantly squeaking and chatting to me :hug:....

Parsley is the worst; switch to coriander/cilantro instead and give a sprig daily as it is not as strong.

Parsley is the worst; switch to coriander/cilantro instead and give a sprig daily as it is not as strong.
Ooh I never knew that about parsley. You learn something new every day

i think poops definitely have a stronger aroma depending on what has been fed veg wise! :)) i notice a stronger smell if they've had anything cabbage like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back