• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Shredded Egg Carton Bedding.... new bag all damp!

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just had my second delivery of this from Pet Bedding UK and upon opening it - it all feels damp :(

No way I am going to use it as it smells a bit fusty. I can only think that it has been packed whilst damp....

Does anyone know of any other stockists of this just incase ?

Thanks

Hi, I used to use their egg box bedding but on the previous 2 occasion's I received it, it smelt awful and felt slightly damp. I have been using ecobale as it's clean shredded cardboard and although it's pricier it's so much better. Hope this helps.

Hi, I used to use their egg box bedding but on the previous 2 occasion's I received it, it smelt awful and felt slightly damp. I have been using ecobale as it's clean shredded cardboard and although it's pricier it's so much better. Hope this helps.
@daveclark79 thanks - where do you get that from please?

Could you tell me how big the cardboard shreds are please? I used cardboard bedding when I had a pony but it would have been too big for a pig cage. Thanks.
The shredded one I used the pieces were small ... no bigger than maybe a 10pence ..

So he has sent me a replacement bag BUY it still feels a bit damp.... Kind of puts me off using it... I have emptied some into a black bin bag to see if it will dry out a bit in the warm conservatory...

Be careful it doesn’t go mouldy. I had some damp shavings but they went mouldy when I tried to dry them. Luckily it was only a bit.

Be careful it doesn’t go mouldy. I had some damp shavings but they went mouldy when I tried to dry them. Luckily it was only a bit.
This is what is worrying me.... I might end up binning it....

It might dry better spread on a towel, if there is any wet in it you will get condensation in plastic and it won't dry. I've just had to throw out a 5 kilo bag of hay. I didn't realise my OH had moved it in the shed and it was in the sun rather than at the back in the shade. :hb: I could see the condensation in the bag when I picked it up and when opened it it smelt musty. Just had a new batch of hay delivered, it's now stored under the bed!

It might dry better spread on a towel, if there is any wet in it you will get condensation in plastic and it won't dry. I've just had to throw out a 5 kilo bag of hay. I didn't realise my OH had moved it in the shed and it was in the sun rather than at the back in the shade. :hb: I could see the condensation in the bag when I picked it up and when opened it it smelt musty. Just had a new batch of hay delivered, it's now stored under the bed!
I am just going to do that! Have ordered a new bag from EcoBale in the meantime! Hopefully that will be dry!

So I ordered a bag of the stuff from EcoBale - it arrived ok - double bagged which was a good start...BUT not keen on it - its shredded cardboard pieces but I am not sure it's for me...

I now have a huge bag of it - :hmm: that cost me £27 ............. plus the cost of the other stuff £17...............

As it's only for the bottom of my hay trays - I think I will just use newspaper and puppy pads!

If anyone in the Nottingham area or not too far can use it - happy to sell for half price! www.ecobale.co.uk

I'm using newspaper @artcasper I change it everyday, it's easy to wrap the old hay up in it and throw it away, I'm finding it the easiest option for me. When I go away, it's only for 4 days I use back2nature, OH just takes any damp hay out and tops up, he finds this easier than cleaning out whole lot!

I'm using newspaper @artcasper I change it everyday, it's easy to wrap the old hay up in it and throw it away, I'm finding it the easiest option for me. When I go away, it's only for 4 days I use back2nature, OH just takes any damp hay out and tops up, he finds this easier than cleaning out whole lot!
Yeah I think I will stick with that... We don't have a paper tho so have to rely on people near me saving them for me!

My OHs daily exercise is a ride on his bike round all the City Centre outlets for the free newpapers. Family and neighbours collect them up for me to. I use them under the fleece as well, so with 3 large cages and six hay trays I get through a lot. Lidl leaflets are absorbant, I take the staples out, Aldi ones are no good. If you ever come to Bristol and see a mad woman going round the shops feeling the leaflets, it's me, testing for absorbancy 🤣

Back