• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick guniea pig?

Gunieagarica

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a guniea pig named keke who loves to break her water bottles. She has broken atleast three so far. When I got back home I noticed she broke her new bottle again and it was spilled all over her cage. She was covered in water and her food. I found her in the corner of her cage curled up and cold. She is alive but she isn’t moving. She is probably 5 years old? Maybe older. We don’t know her age considering we got her from a pet store. We’ve had her for maybe 3 or so years now. I’m keeping her warm but I’m not sure what to do. I lost my job awhile ago so I can’t take her to the vet.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
if she is cold and wet then she needs to be dried off and carefully warmed up, but all we can tell you is that if she is ill, she needs to go to a vet. We have no way of knowing would else could be wrong with her.
Will she snuggle up with her cagemate? That might help warm her up
Is she eating hay?

Gunieagarica

New Born Pup
Reaction score
if she is cold and wet then she needs to be dried off and carefully warmed up, but all we can tell you is that if she is ill, she needs to go to a vet. We have no way of knowing would else could be wrong with her.
Will she snuggle up with her cagemate? That might help warm her up
Is she eating hay?
She has hay but doesn’t eat it. She prefers carrots over anything. She was ok a few hours ago until she broke her bottle. She is just laying on her side right now. She is moving but not a lot. Every time I attempt to sit her up she lays on her head.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
She has hay but doesn’t eat it. She prefers carrots over anything. She was ok a few hours ago until she broke her bottle. She is just laying on her side right now. She is moving but not a lot. Every time I attempt to sit her up she lays on her head.
Hay is the most important part of their diet, and it must make up 80% of their daily food intake - this is what enables their gut to function properly and keeps their teeth worn down.
Carrots are sweet, sugary and are the equivalent of a chocolate bar. They should only be given one small amount of carrot once per week only as an occasional treat only.

If she is just laying on her side, appearing unwell and not eating any hay then she will need to be syringe fed and taken to a vet.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I hope you manage to get her to the vet. It’s a matter of urgency so you need to ring them as soon as they’re open. Otherwise for now keep her warm (not hot) and comfortable. I know there’s no emergency vet care in the US.