• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick pig with suspected URI

Piggiemum32

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi i was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I have a 4 year old male pig who has a suspected upper respiratory infection. Hes on baytril and last night had another vet visit as his resp rate was uo and was given a pain killer injection.

I'm syringe feeding him every 4 hours but he dropped in weight slightly over the last two days. Theres no wheezing or breathing noise just slightly faster breathing and no interest in food iv tried all. His fav :(

His teeths been cheeked as well as his heart listened to and tummy felt and all fine.

Has anyone experienced this i really dont know what his prognosis is now the vet said if he doesnt start to eat on his own and perk up in 24 to 48 hours then its not looking good

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The need to breathe comes before the need to drink and eat. If he’s not eating at all you will have to syringe feed him more regularly than four hourly to keep his guts going. Weigh him daily at the same time each day and adjust the syringe feeding accordingly. The usual aim is 60ml in a 24 hour period. How much weight has he dropped and in how many days? Is he munching on hay at all? If he’s losing weight that means he’s not eating enough of it.

Another issue with baytril is that it kills the good and bad bacteria in the gut, and can also ruin their appetites a little I think. It’s usually suggested that you give a probiotic either two hours before, or two hours after administering the baytril. I’ll link some guides below for you to read through.
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Piggiemum32

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The need to breathe comes before the need to drink and eat. If he’s not eating at all you will have to syringe feed him more regularly than four hourly to keep his guts going. Weigh him daily at the same time each day and adjust the syringe feeding accordingly. The usual aim is 60ml in a 24 hour period. How much weight has he dropped and in how many days? Is he munching on hay at all? If he’s losing weight that means he’s not eating enough of it.

Another issue with baytril is that it kills the good and bad bacteria in the gut, and can also ruin their appetites a little I think. It’s usually suggested that you give a probiotic either two hours before, or two hours after administering the baytril. I’ll link some guides below for you to read through.
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
Thank you for the reply so he went from 1.1 to 1.05 kilo in Two days. iv just offered him greens and hes picking it up so deffo interested but not eating them also not interested in Hay. Hes becoming less and less interested in the syringe feeding and struggling to get away a bit his bpm is 102 and not changed

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t know what the usual heart rate for piggies is but it’s pretty fast. Keep trying with the syringe feeding. Hay is the most important thing so if he isn’t eating enough he needs to be topped up to help with fibre intake. How long has he been on the baytril?

50g in two days isn’t bad but a continuous downward trend isn’t good. Keep an eye on the weight daily at the same time and keep trying with the syringe feeding. Have a look at the guide below on how to syringe feed.
Today's instructional video on our Facebook page - Syringe feeding

Piggiemum32

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I don’t know what the usual heart rate for piggies is but it’s pretty fast. Keep trying with the syringe feeding. Hay is the most important thing so if he isn’t eating enough he needs to be topped up to help with fibre intake. How long has he been on the baytril?

50g in two days isn’t bad but a continuous downward trend isn’t good. Keep an eye on the weight daily at the same time and keep trying with the syringe feeding. Have a look at the guide below on how to syringe feed.
Today's instructional video on our Facebook page - Syringe feeding
Thank you for your advice i took him back to the vet a third time as he wad struggling more breathing wise and refusing syringe feeding and they advised me his temperature was very low and breathing rate yet again increased and they didnt think he was going to recover so i had to have him pts 😩

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So very sorry to read this.
Even when you know it’s the right decision it’s a tough one to make.
When you feel ready you may want to post a tribute on the Rainbow Bridge thread.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve