• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello! My little Bo is an Absynian Guinea pig, I rescued her when she was 3 weeks old and left to die at the store. She had a respiratory infection, some antibiotics and eye drops she was good to go. Now she is 4, and stopped eating as of a week and half ago, she rallied back to eating, and stopped again a week ago. She has been breathing heavier, I am forcing water and food into her. Gave her a vitamin d boost yesterday,. Which she seemed to respond well to. I just spent 300 at vet last week. I have no more for this month. She will nibble a little on hay and is taking the mash I made for her. (Cherry tomatoe, cucumber, and mini peppers.) I think it’s her heart because she has consistently been cold over the past week and half. Any ideas?

it’s lovely that you rescued your girl.

I’m afraid only a vet can help. Are you weighing her daily to monitor any loss? Was it a vet that recommended vitamin D boosting? I bc would avoid any medicating or nutraceuticals without consulting a vet first.

She needs to be syringe fed a fibre rich feed suitable for herbivores (such as critical care or supreme science recovery feed) or mushed up pellets (this is the emergency measure), not mashed vegetables. Guinea pigs need a constant source of fibre to sustain their gut and giving her mashed up vegetables simply won’t do that.
You also should not be forcing food and water into her, but instead support syringe feeding her. The guides below explain further how and what to feed her.

You need to weigh her daily to ensure she is getting enough fibre to maintain her weight.
She really must get to a vet as she sounds very poorly. Can you borrow money? Waiting until next month to see a vet when you have your own money again could well be too late particularly as you mention she is breathing heavily. This needs urgent investigation.

Who said for you to give her vitamin D?

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Hello! My little Bo is an Absynian Guinea pig, I rescued her when she was 3 weeks old and left to die at the store. She had a respiratory infection, some antibiotics and eye drops she was good to go. Now she is 4, and stopped eating as of a week and half ago, she rallied back to eating, and stopped again a week ago. She has been breathing heavier, I am forcing water and food into her. Gave her a vitamin d boost yesterday,. Which she seemed to respond well to. I just spent 300 at vet last week. I have no more for this month. She will nibble a little on hay and is taking the mash I made for her. (Cherry tomatoe, cucumber, and mini peppers.) I think it’s her heart because she has consistently been cold over the past week and half. Any ideas?

Hi

I am very sorry. Has your vet checked for a potential respiratory infection (URI), pneumonia or heart problem? for the first two, she urgently needs an antibiotic.

Because the need to breathe comes before the need to drink and only thirdly the need to eat, loss of appetite is a very common symptom. However, you have to be ever so careful when support feeding a baby as ever little water or food going down the wrong way can start pneumonia in the lungs. You cannot just push food and water into the mouth without making sure that your piggy can hold it all in their mouth and swallow it all before you give a little more.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Hand-rearing-and-support-feeding-orphans-and-tiny-babies (the feeding tips in this guide here also go for support feeding and medicating any piggies under 8 weeks while they are still ever so fragile and while their immune system is still very much under construction)

Thank you for your info, I didn’t need all that extra info, I am not an idiot. Bo is 4 years old. I have started her on antibiotics again , and there is a little bit of discharge from her nose. I am still pushing fluids and puréed food with syringe.

Is
She needs to be syringe fed a fibre rich feed suitable for herbivores (such as critical care or supreme science recovery feed) or mushed up pellets (this is the emergency measure), not mashed vegetables. Guinea pigs need a constant source of fibre to sustain their gut and giving her mashed up vegetables simply won’t do that.
You also should not be forcing food and water into her, but instead support syringe feeding her. The guides below explain further how and what to feed her.

You need to weigh her daily to ensure she is getting enough fibre to maintain her weight.
She really must get to a vet as she sounds very poorly. Can you borrow money? Waiting until next month to see a vet when you have your own money again could well be too late particularly as you mention she is breathing heavily. This needs urgent investigation.

Who said for you to give her vitamin D?

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
it just normal for people to assume your stupid withno back ground in caring for pets at all? I amsyringe feeding her, and I am not buying crappy pellets for her at 4 years of age, sorry! Veggies and hay mash is plenty of fiber and vitamin c for her. The vitamin d I dosed her with the other night, gave her enough of a boost to accept syringe feeding her. I thought this was a supportive group, not a couple of judgey jerks. It’s easy to make assumptions through reading words, but seriously, you all sound like a bunch of jerks. Thanks for the not needed advice , I apologize for wasting time here

Thank you for your info, I didn’t need all that extra info, I am not an idiot. Bo is 4 years old. I have started her on antibiotics again , and there is a little bit of discharge from her nose. I am still pushing fluids and puréed food with syringe.
No one was implying that you are an idiot, and I’m sorry you feel that way.
The people on here are wonderful experts, and dedicating to helping all piggies and owners in need. They give up their own free time to voluntarily help out here.

I would double check the puréed food feeding with one of our experts on here, as I know many foods are just too high release sugar when fed puréed (the same reason we don’t feed grass cuttings to horses; too quick of a sugar release). But like I said, someone very experienced will be along to advise you.

hope your piggie starts to feel better

Is

it just normal for people to assume your stupid withno back ground in caring for pets at all? I amsyringe feeding her, and I am not buying crappy pellets for her at 4 years of age, sorry! Veggies and hay mash is plenty of fiber and vitamin c for her. The vitamin d I dosed her with the other night, gave her enough of a boost to accept syringe feeding her. I thought this was a supportive group, not a couple of judgey jerks. It’s easy to make assumptions through reading words, but seriously, you all sound like a bunch of jerks. Thanks for the not needed advice , I apologize for wasting time here

This is completely rude and unacceptable. You have come here asking for advice and have received advice.

Rather than considering people are judging you, perhaps consider that we cannot judge or assume that someone posting on the forum has a certain level of knowledge. Assuming what someone already knows does not help anyone in getting or giving advice. All posts on the forum are open for advice and we also have to consider those who find the thread in future if they have a similar query.

Of course if you don't want the advice that's fine but there is absolutely no need for that level of rudeness to people who are taking the time (their own free, volunteered time) to respond to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back