Sick piggy bullying her sister

PremierPig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Spotty-pig was diagnosed with pneumonia earlier today and had some injections at the vets. She has to have medicine later and then back to the vet tomorrow. Her sister went to the vets with her in the carrier.

Since they got back, despite being unwell, Spotty has relentlessly bullied her sister, stalking and chasing her around the cage, chattering her teeth at her (something she has never done before, although she is the dominant animal usually). Poor Caramel is terrified and literally resting with one eye open! Wherever Caramel decides to lie, her sister comes and bullies her out of the space.

Is this normal? Is she just irritable at feeling unwell and would it be a good idea to separate them until she feels better? They have a pretty big cage so I could just put a couple of dividing panels in to give them their own space for now.

Advice would be appreciated as I don't want to make things worse for either of them.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Spotty-pig was diagnosed with pneumonia earlier today and had some injections at the vets. She has to have medicine later and then back to the vet tomorrow. Her sister went to the vets with her in the carrier.

Since they got back, despite being unwell, Spotty has relentlessly bullied her sister, stalking and chasing her around the cage, chattering her teeth at her (something she has never done before, although she is the dominant animal usually). Poor Caramel is terrified and literally resting with one eye open! Wherever Caramel decides to lie, her sister comes and bullies her out of the space.

Is this normal? Is she just irritable at feeling unwell and would it be a good idea to separate them until she feels better? They have a pretty big cage so I could just put a couple of dividing panels in to give them their own space for now.

Advice would be appreciated as I don't want to make things worse for either of them.
Hi!

It seems that Spotty-pig is feeling threatened in her position as the leader because she is not feeling well. It is rather stemming from her own insecurity than the opposite.

If you have a divider you can try and see whether this helps or whether it will make it worse. However, there is a certain risk that separated piggies won't go back together again if the underlying issue is bad enough. It doesn't happen in a stable and happy bond. There is no 'one solution fits all' approach in these kind of situations as each bond is unique.
Bonds In Trouble

PremierPig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you - your reply and the link was really helpful. They share my office so at least I can keep an eye on them. Seems to have calmed down for now - both in their separate houses, so fingers crossed.