• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick Piggy - Dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie&Edward

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on here, so I'm sorry if there's some technical problems, as I do not yet fully know how to use the website :D
I have a very poorly guinea pig.. He's called Ernie, and he does not want to eat or drink, so we're having to syringe feed hi, and give him drink through the syringe too. He is eating the green thing in sachets, he's getting Fibreplex, and antibiotics ( I don't know the name.) He is currently at the vet, and she is going to be taking him home for the weekend to look after him. ( Good idea?) Personally, I think that this could work out well, as she is definitely WAY better at looking after piggies than I am. However, she said he's getting pain relief (why?) and she said she changed antibiotics ( she did tell me the name but I forgot it AGAIN)! He was passing stools fine (they were dark and dried.. dehydration?) and he did wee ( there was white fluids in it.. dehydration?) I think they are also giving him under skin fluids. There was no diarrhoea, which I guess is really good because he is not loosing nay fluids? I am a bit worried as to his chances of survival because he is 5 months old, but I had another piggy who had the same symptoms, but it did have diarrhoea, and I had noticed too late and it was too late to get treatment, so he had sadly passed away. So my question is.. is there chances of his survival? And is it a good idea for him to stay at the vets house? I'm sorry for going into so much detail.. but I'm just really worried because he is my first piggy. :(

Thank you to anyone who replies :)
Zuzanna :)

Last edited:
Hi! Where are you located? You can add your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city to your details by clikcing on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. As we are dealing with members from all over the world, any advice can differ quite a bit according to where they are and how good their vet access is.

Without knowing the diagnosis and full details of the treatment, we cannot comment on your boy's chances of making through. What is your vet suspecting is wrong with your piggy?

Your vet's current measures make sense if your piggy is not eating and - crucially - not drinking on its own; it sounds like he is dehydrated and needs round-the-clock hand feeding. Pain/discomfort is often at the bottom of loss of appetite, so it is a reasonable step to make him as comfy in himself as possible to stimulate the appetite.

White pee means that excess calcium is being excreted.

Thank you!

I have changed my location. She didn't tell me the full diagnosis, but she said that he is dehydrated and lost lots of weight. It is also possible that there could be a gut injury, perhapsdue to him not eating much. However, he did eat a small amount of hay last night and this morning before I took him to the vet. Thank you for your reply, I'm just really worried about him :(

Could his situation gotten a bit worse due to him losing his friend?

Hi! Where are you located? You can add your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city to your details by clikcing on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. As we are dealing with members from all over the world, any advice can differ quite a bit according to where they are and how good their vet access is.

Without knowing the diagnosis and full details of the treatment, we cannot comment on your boy's chances of making through. What is your vet suspecting is wrong with your piggy?

Your vet's current measures make sense if your piggy is not eating and - crucially - not drinking on its own; it sounds like he is dehydrated and needs round-the-clock hand feeding. Pain/discomfort is often at the bottom of loss of appetite, so it is a reasonable step to make him as comfy in himself as possible to stimulate the appetite.

White pee means that excess calcium is being excreted.

Also, I have just phoned the vet that he is staying with for the weekend, and she said that there is no changes.. not getting worse.. but not exactly better :(

HUGS!

I am ever so sorry! It is such an anxious time for you, and not made any easier as things are no longer under your own control. I hope that your boy will make it through the crisis and recover.

HUGS!

I am ever so sorry! It is such an anxious time for you, and not made any easier as things are no longer under your own control. I hope that your boy will make it through the crisis and recover.

Thank you for the kind words. :)
It really hurts me not being able to see him, but I know that he is in much better hands.
I really hope that he recovers, he is only 5 months old :(

Glad we got you posting and sorry to hear that you lost your other piggy during the night. Ernie is in the right place to receive the necessary treatment around the clock. Will keep my fingers crossed for good news from the vet.

c
Glad we got you posting and sorry to hear that you lost your other piggy during the night. Ernie is in the right place to receive the necessary treatment around the clock. Will keep my fingers crossed for good news from the vet.

Thank you,and me too!

Thank you for the kind words. :)
It really hurts me not being able to see him, but I know that he is in much better hands.
I really hope that he recovers, he is only 5 months old :(
ohhhh so sorry to hear about Ernie! you must be a wreck, but it sounds like he is in good hands; i'm sending good thoughts to both you and him

HUGS!

You may want to ring up anyway... Keep on sending Ernie loving and supporting throughts.

HUGS!

You may want to ring up anyway... Keep on sending Ernie loving and supporting throughts.

I tried to ring up.. but unfortunately I only have the vet centre's number. So I tried to look for it online, but it does not have her number. :( I am really worried about Enie :(

HUGS!

Also, ( I know this might sound really strange of me ) but on their website I found info about her and it said that she is very good with rodents..

From what you were telling us, it sounds like Ernie is in competent hands. Sadly, depending on what he is actually suffering from, the outcome is open, but he is certainly receiving the best care you can provide for him - and that is all that is required of you as a good and loving owner.

We all feel for you, having been there ourselves.

From what you were telling us, it sounds like Ernie is in competent hands. Sadly, depending on what he is actually suffering from, the outcome is open, but he is certainly receiving the best care you can provide for him - and that is all that is required of you as a good and loving owner.

Thank you!

And have your piggies suffered from anything similar to this ?

I will update you on how Ernie is doing once I call them in the morning. Fingers crossed he's feeling better. :luv:

My fingers are firmly crossed for Ernie! :tu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back