• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick piggy :( URI

Pigs4ever

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My older piggy is ill , I noticed yesterday she was sneezing now several times in a row(I noticed the odd sneeze off past couple of days but thought it may be dust from hay or bedding or getting used to home so I made her an appointment and she is on a course of Baytril now. I wonder what i have done wrong in letting her get ill, i was letting the pigs be and should have been with her more. She is in a tunnel now and i have put a pile of hay in front so she doesnt have to move but doesnt seem to want it I am worried and how long should it take for her to pick up, i have to give to both as i took her sister too but she is fine and eating.

I’m sorry to hear she isn’t well.
if she isn’t eating for herself due to feeling unwell (plus antibiotics can upset the tummy and cause loss of appetite) then you need to step in and syringe feed her to keep her guts functioning. You will also need to weigh her daily (at the same time each day) so you can monitor how much syringe feed she is getting. If her weight drops, then she isn’t getting enough.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

I have been following the guide thankyou!. I am using oxbow critical care got for emergencies so important to have emergency kit on hand now first hand. It is a struggle to get it in her and not down her face or floor. I have taken it slow on the advice in the instructions post. If she doesnt start to eat on her own should i take her back to vet and say she is not eating now, or continue to feed and do daily weighing along with her prescribed medication. I am in a bit of a panic tbh. What should I do overnight to make her comfortable?

If she doesn’t eat on her own then you need to continue to feed her and weigh her but stay In contact with your vet. As long as you are getting syringe feed into her (and her weight stays stable) then she will eat again when she feels better.
if you struggle to get food into her, she isn’t eating and her weight drops, then take her back to the vet for help

Overnight, you will need to make sure she gets food - youll need to feed her in the night if she isn’t eating for herself.

Today's instructional video on our Facebook page - Syringe feeding

ok so i will kee up an alarm for every 2 hours overnight and sit with her and take naps in between overnight. I am still at a loss how she became ill but i just want to focus on her getting better i admit i started to fear worst that she was going to leave me so soon.,

that video was very helpful too, i am doing a chart too to keep track of the amount, just finished wtaching

thankfully she started to eat on her own again and has picked up on the way to recovery:D

Oh that’s fabulous news ! Hopefully she is over the worst and eating lots and putting on weight ! 🥰

Back