• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Sick piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

enn671

One of my guinea pigs (Sophie) recently stopped eating so of course, being very concerned, I checked her over and noticed her teeth look a little odd. It sort of looks like the upper incisors have broken off. They're still a fairly good length but I've noticed that even trying to eat lettuce is hard for her. The break looks somewhat like an upside-down v. like this: ^

How long will it take for the tooth to go back to normal? I've been syringe feeding her but she has lost a fair amount of weight. She wont drink and neither will her piggy friend Dee-Dee, which is weird because Dee-Dee appears to be completely healthy.

Also, she had diarrhea most of the day yesterday but today her poop has been fairly solid.

Feeding her hasn't been the easiest task as she continuously spits out the food. :(

I have attached a picture of the side of her upper incisors. It was taken with my phone camera so it's not the highest quality.

Attachments

kirst10

This happened to my piggy a few weeks ago - we presumed it was because he'd had a small fall from the sofa or because he really has a go at knawing everything. The top teeth were bleeding and in a weird ^ shape too, so we had the vet look him over and they removed both of them because they were barely attached. Grew back in less than a week!
Get your wee one to the vet, thats all i can suggest =/ i have no idea otherwise sorry.
:(

katiepops

Adult Guinea Pig
Broken front teeth usually take a couple of weeks to grow back fully.
I think on this occassion it would be worth a vet check as diarrhea is worrying and Dee-Dee not eating as well.
I found that when my piggy George broken his teeth off he could still eat hay and would suck on a tiny piece of cucumber if I deseeded it and took the skin off. Lettuce was easier to eat if I cut it into a thin stip and held one end.
Are you syringing Critical Care?
Where do you live? A member maybe able to suggest a good cavy savvy vet who can do teeth without GA.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

enn671

I went to take Sophie out this morning to feed her but she had died in the night. :(

I took Dee-Dee out and she ate quite a bit and is continuously going to her food dish to eat so i'm not sure what has changed. She's still not drinking from the water bottle in her cage so I've been using a syringe to give her water. Other than her not drinking she appears to be in good health.

Thank you both for your advice. It is very much appreciated.

Wiebke

Staff member
I am sorry for your loss.

Some piggies just won't drink and other will go through a lot. Make sure that you give her plenty of juicy veg and fruit and she'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.