Single guinea pig - help!

GuineaPiggles18

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Recently my elderly guinea pig has passed away leaving my younger one on her own. Unfortunately to get a new friend for her I would have to travel around six hours to reach a reputable place and that’s usually difficult enough without Covid-19.

She used to live outside in a shed but brought her inside to be closer to people and she seems to be getting on ok (eating, drinking etc) and with me being home 24/7 she is with me at least 4 hours a day.

I did consider rehoming her but I couldn’t find anyone suitable in my area (she’s almost completely blind) so have decided against it. As well as that I love her to pieces and it would be extremely hard to part with her :(

If anyone could help with tips and tricks to keep her entertained and happy for the foreseeable future that would be brilliant! (bearing in mind she’s not very tame and poor sighted) :)

(sorry for rambling and no idea if this is the correct place for this)

GuineaPiggles18

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Can you tell us where abouts you live. Have you looked in the UK recommended rescue locator? If you are in another country please have a look on the Guinea Pig Lynx rescue locator
Guinea Lynx :: Rescue Organizations
I live on the one of the northern scottish Isles (would like to keep it vague if that’s ok). There is none on island and I’m not willing to send a guinea pig on a boat to the mainland or vise versa. I cannot leave the island due to COVID-19 so it’s impossible to get any. At the moment I just need some advice on keeping her happy and entertained. When it’s possible too I certainly will look for a pal.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That’s fine to not give more of a specific location, just knowing what country you’re in helps us.
We have our enrichment thread which can give some ideas on how to keep her occupied. Having a friend is of course the best possible way when the time is right but we understand the current situation is making everything so much harder.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I live on the one of the northern scottish Isles (would like to keep it vague if that’s ok). There is none on island and I’m not willing to send a guinea pig on a boat to the mainland or vise versa. I cannot leave the island due to COVID-19 so it’s impossible to get any. At the moment I just need some advice on keeping her happy and entertained. When it’s possible too I certainly will look for a pal.
Hi

I am very sorry. It's not an area where guinea pigs are easily to come by or where is much in the way of good welfare standard piggy savvy rescues. :(

These two guides may help you:
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs (actually one of the piggies featured is pretty much blind with cataracts)
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities (takes a closer look at the particular challenges involved for singles in different situations, various companionship solutions and how being single impacts on the interaction with humans)

GuineaPiggles18

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you! These are perfect, exactly what I was looking for! I’m not too worried about her as she seems quite content in herself, but I always think it’s best to have two of everything haha

DougalandDiego

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your other guinea pig passing away and hope your other pig gets on ok until you’re able to find them a companion! :hug: