• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Single Guinea Pig

toppers85

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I hope that you could give me some advice. I have one male guinea pig who is about 5 or 6 years old (not fully sure as we adopted him). We did have another but unfortunately, he passed away a few weeks ago. They were always together as they were adopted together. A week or so before he died (this happened suddenly as was bowel stones), we bought a kitten, not knowing that this was going to happen. He is an indoor guinea pig and has his own room and is in a C&C cage. We have to keep his door closed at the moment because of the kitten. We keep the radio on in there all day, make sure we go in often to give him a stroke and say hello, and give him his food. We feel bad that he is alone in the room. We don't want to get another guinea pig as we don't want to be in a perpetual cycle of owning guinea pigs in the future. However, we don't want him to have a lonely life. He has continued to eat as normal and we've put a little teddy bear in his pen for comfort too. Is there anything that you think we should be doing? We want to do whatever will give him a happy rest of his life. Thank you in advance :).

I’m sorry for your loss.

your piggy needs a new friend though. They are not wired to be alone. A teddy bear, radio and human contact is not enough for him. He needs another piggy to have social interaction with.

Its always tricky when you want to end the piggy cycle, but some rescue centres can offer you the chance to foster a companion for your piggy. Your piggy gets companionship for the rest of his life, the foster gets a home and you can end your cycle when your piggy passes. Once your piggy passes, you hand the foster piggy back to the rescue to be rebonded and rehomed. Perhaps that is an option you can look into

Back