Size of hutch

Pigoles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can I ask about size of people's hutches? I am currently contacting rescues to rehome a guinea pig (as a companion to a bereaved piggie), and so far the rescues I have contacted are insisting on a 6ft x 2ft hutch ... is this the minimum now for rehoming a piggie? Just wondering whether we will have to upgrade the hutch ... (also have a 2x4 grid C&C and large outdoor run - the rescues were happy with the sizing of both of these areas).

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
While the minimum the RSPCA state for two piggies is 4ft x 2ft, i would expect a lot of rescues to ask for bigger, either 5ft or 6ft for two (with two boars definitely needing 6ft). 5ft for two sows or a sow/neutered boar is a good size but the rescue obviously have their own set of requirements and 6ft is their minimum.
The rescue near me state 5ft as a minimum but would be happier with 6ft

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it a boar to live with another boar that you are rehoming? Boars need more space so it's not uncommon for that size to be needed

Pigoles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No .. sorry ... I should have said! I have a approx. 3 year old bereaved sow ... and the rescues were suggesting another sow to rehome (if bonding successful), but stated the hutch must be a minimum of 6ft x 2ft in size on one level.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
5ft is fine for two sows, but the rescues obviously have their own requirements.
(Being the right size on one level is important, upper levels don’t double the floor space)