• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

skin cyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
fluff has a hard lump slightly bigger than a pea) on her side which has got a little bigger over the last fews months. anyways took her to the vet today and the vet says its a skin cyst and wants to remove it as it has got bigger, she wants to do it before it gets bigger. It doesnt bother fluff at all and I'm not sure i want to put her through the op, is it mean/cruel of me to do this?

The vet would use a GA which is why I'm against it.

any advice?

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do you have confidnce in your vet? If not get a second opinion.

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i dont no if i do only been to her for routine things. might ask around for a good vet in colchester.

fluff is under 2 years old. not sure if it makes a difference

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If in doubt, I would get a second opinion. And ask your vet what is the risk of leaving it for now and watching it to see if it continues growing. I know with abscesses the risk is that they will leak internally and lead to blood poisoning... I'm not sure if the same risk exists with a cyst.

If worst comes to worst and you do have to go through with the removal, one of my pigs had a similar operation last summer (in her case an abscess on her lower back that had to be removed under ga after it failed to clear up from being lanced/drained/treated with antibiotics.) I was very nervous about the ga but she did fine and the wound healed up quickly with no other issues- now you would never know it had even been done. HTH a bit- good luck with everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.