• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skin Problem: Hair Loss And Crusty Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alliefoo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So, one of my guinea pigs has a patch of hair loss directly on her butt. The skin itself is crusty but, as far as I can tell, isn't bleeding or displaying any traits I might expect to see if it were mites. I'm worried that it's a fungal infection but it might also be barbering.

I know she's been super stressed since I've gotten her. She breaks into a run at the slightest sound and only comes out for snacks. That said, she doesn't make any type of pained sounds when touched that would indicate that she's experiencing pain from being touched. Even when I touched the crusty part, she didn't make any kind of sounds to indicate it was painful. Generally I try and give her her space and keep hand feeding her but I just can't seem to get on her good side. It makes me wonder if stress might be a factor.

Here are two photos. I apologize for the quality.

Last edited:

Alliefoo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One other thing worth noting. They were previously in a cage where the entire bottom was covered in a paper/woodchip mix. I recently got a new (and larger) cage that I lined with plush fabric over pet pads.

I suspect she might have had a habit of sitting in her poop before. I was cleaning the cage every 5-6 days but I realized quickly that they really needed more room. The cage was by no means small but it didn't have the kind of room to run around that two pigs might need.

Also, I gave my piggies their monthly bath and checked them over. Aeryn (the pig above) seemed to be mostly fine. Once I washed off the crusty skin I couldn't see any growths and her skin looked fairly normal, if bald. There were maybe one or two bumps but they didn't look like mites and were not bleeding. She also didn't seem in pain when I touched the skin. Chiana, my other pig, had absolutely no hair loss and seemed fine... if maybe a little unhappy about getting a bath. XD

Last edited:

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum, please could you update your location on your profile as it will affect the advice we can give re products, access to a vet etc.

It does look fungal to me, though could also be a reaction to the shavings. If you are in the UK, it has been very humid recently which has led to an increase in all types of fungal. Do you have access to a guinea pig savvy vet? If so, I would get her and her friend an appointment as only a vet can diagnose.

Here is our Ringworm guide which outlines our preferred method of treatment for fungal. Please note though that there are many different types but Ringworm is the most contagious and tend to show up if a vet attempts a culture, other types don't. The products in the link are UK ones, but there are equivalent products in the US we can advise you on if needed.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that it looks fungal to me, too. Please have her seen by a vet and diagnosed appropriately, do not treat on spec. Fungal is an opportunist that hits when the immune system is lowered through stress or illness.

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice and recommendations to what is available and possible where you are. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!
We have got a piggy savvy UK vets locator on the top bar, but can provide a link to a list of recommended vets in other countries if wished.

Alliefoo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okay, as a precaution, I isolated Aeryn in her own cage, away from Chiana. I also gave her a little Clotrimazole cream, at least until I can get her to the vet. Unfortunately I'm currently in my summer finals and that won't be for at least a week.

On the plus side, the new cage seems to have her less stressed. I think part of the issue there was that Chiana doesn't like sharing her hidey holes and she would chase Aeryn out when she tried to hide with her. A larger cage gives them both their own spaces.

And yes, unfortunately DC is built on top of a swamp so it gets incredibly humid. I had a spare dehumidifier that I moved into their room. Hopefully that should help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.