• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skin problem

Ziwona77

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,I’ve recently noticed something on the skin of our 10weeks old rosette guinea pig.I’m suspecting it could be a fungul infection.I’ve used the Alphosyl shampoo and moisturising it with Paw Paw cream.It looked white and scabby,now is more red.Can I use clotrimazole 1%cream? Thank you for any advice.349DF5E2-EE26-45DB-ABE1-6BD0B4C59CF0.jpeg349DF5E2-EE26-45DB-ABE1-6BD0B4C59CF0.jpegB4E693A0-99AE-4419-BDDF-85B7305EC2DF.jpeg349DF5E2-EE26-45DB-ABE1-6BD0B4C59CF0.jpegB4E693A0-99AE-4419-BDDF-85B7305EC2DF.jpeg349DF5E2-EE26-45DB-ABE1-6BD0B4C59CF0.jpegB4E693A0-99AE-4419-BDDF-85B7305EC2DF.jpeg

Please don’t home treat, and we won’t recommend any home treatments, you could be inadvertently making the condition worse and/or harder for a vet to diagnose and treat.
Please have your piggy seen by a vet for diagnosis and treatment

I don’t have a good experience with vets in my area,they don’t know much about guinea pigs.We’ve spent £300 to treat our previous guinea pigs,and we lost them both.

That does look very sore, please see a vet ASAP as home remedies given on spec can often make things worse or mask the real problem, nothing can replace a proper clinical diagnosis and prescription treatment!

I’m sorry that you do not have faith in your current vet but please see another vet as we can not diagnose. Have you looked at our vet locator at the top of the page for piggy savvy vets in your area?

Unfortunately there is no one listed in my area.I’m from Forfar(Angus in Scotland).

There's one in Dunfermline, Denny, Glasgow and Aberdeen. I know they're far away but you will have to travel. It's difficult when you don't have a decent vet nearby, but you really shouldn't home treat.

I agree with Siikibam, travelling a bit further for a piggy savvy vet is always better in the long run as they will know what they are doing and you will feel comfortable knowing they are in good hands. Piggies generally don’t mind car journeys too much aswell so that is a bonus.
I hope you can get your piggy seen by a vet❤️

Hi,I’ve recently noticed something on the skin of our 10weeks old rosette guinea pig.I’m suspecting it could be a fungul infection.I’ve used the Alphosyl shampoo and moisturising it with Paw Paw cream.It looked white and scabby,now is more red.Can I use clotrimazole 1%cream? Thank you for any advice.View attachment 150646View attachment 150646View attachment 150647View attachment 150646View attachment 150647View attachment 150646View attachment 150647

Hi!

Please see a vet for a diagnosis and do not home treat on spec. Ringworm and mange mites require very different treatment. If you treat wrongly, you will not only prolong their suffering but you will also increase your treatment cost when you finally see a vet with an advanced case after having wasted a lot of money in the place you have got your infected piggies from in the first place!

You can reclaim any vet cost from a pet shop within the first 2-3 weeks of purchase as part of your customer rights for having been sold damaged ware.

Please take read the information in these guides here:
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Recommended UK vets: Vet Locator

I took my guinea pig to a different vet.He said it’s probably parasites,but also it could be a result of fighting with the other guinea pig.(I haven’t seen that).He gave me the Surolan drops to apply for 2 weeks.
I’m not impressed with him,as he charged me £51 for 10 minutes appointment.Also he seemed to be in a great hurry to answer my questions.
I need to take my guinea pig for a check up in 2 weeks,and pay for another visit.☹️
Are vets that expensive in your area?

Cost wise - £51 sounds about right for an appointment and medication
I paid £45 the last time one of mine was at the vet for a leg injury and pain relief

I took my guinea pig to a different vet.He said it’s probably parasites,but also it could be a result of fighting with the other guinea pig.(I haven’t seen that).He gave me the Surolan drops to apply for 2 weeks.
I’m not impressed with him,as he charged me £51 for 10 minutes appointment.Also he seemed to be in a great hurry to answer my questions.
I need to take my guinea pig for a check up in 2 weeks,and pay for another visit.☹
Are vets that expensive in your area?

Since you have obviously been treating the area, it is impossible for us to say whether you are dealing with ringworm or with mange mites. The location is not typical for either but either can happen there. If you see a white crust forming then you are dealing with ringworm. Vet strength anti-parasite can temporarily suppress ringworm but it will flare up again once the ivermectin wears off.

Please read the information links in my last post.

Hi,I thought I will update you about the treatment.After 5 days it’s still not healing well,and now it’s spread to his ears.I also noticed small white patches behind ears of the other guinea pig.Could that be a fungal infection on both guinea pigs?

Attachments

• 3B3EACDF-D41B-40F6-957A-9C9F005940BF.jpeg
    3B3EACDF-D41B-40F6-957A-9C9F005940BF.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 4
  • D996EA8B-D1B0-4823-99EE-53DF3E2FF3AF.jpeg
    D996EA8B-D1B0-4823-99EE-53DF3E2FF3AF.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 4
Are you able to travel to one of the vets I told you about in a previous post? It’s not working so they need to be seen again.

Hi,I thought I will update you about the treatment.After 5 days it’s still not healing well,and now it’s spread to his ears.I also noticed small white patches behind ears of the other guinea pig.Could that be a fungal infection on both guinea pigs?

It can take a while to get on top of it but seeing another vet may help. Ringworm is infectious so yes it could be spreading to the other piggy.
Have you read the green links wiebke added in previously?
F10 is a good vet grade disinfectant which will kill off any spores left in the tiniest of spaces in the cage. Any fleece bedding needs to be hotwashed, items which can’t be cleaned (cardboard etc) to be thrown away. Wooden items could be thrown away also but if possible they can be soaked in f10

The vet told me to treat it for 2 weeks.
I’m not able to travel far as I’m working full time.☹️

Yes,I’ve read.Thank you.I’ve clean the cage with vinegar,washed all bowls etc.

Yes,I’ve read.Thank you.I’ve clean the cage with vinegar,washed all bowls etc.

It’ll take longer than 5 days of treatment. I know you’ve got two weeks worth so you’re going to need to complete it and reassess.
Vinegar isn’t strong enough to kill fungal spores. The guide mentions this. Order some F10 online. It’s vet grade and is good stuff. Amazon sell it.

Back