• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Skinnies And Guineas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

changeling

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm an animal lover and potential pig mom, soon. I've cared mainly for bunnies before, but had to give them up to a loving home during an incredibly unexpected pregnancy which ended in stillbirth of my twin daughters. I have since done a lot of personal healing and therapy and have decided I am ready for a pet to channel some of my need to care into.

My experience lies in bunnies, frogs, fish, cats and hamsters. I also fostered rats for a short time a few years ago, which were originally what I thought I would be preparing for when I went to the pet store last week. I was choosing a base to start a C&C cage when I saw him ... a skinny pig. Oh my goodness, I fell in love. Absolute, total love. Then I held him. He was so WARM, lovely and cute, snuggly and funny and entertaining. I'd never even heard of a skinny pig, so I went to do some research.

Now, I know guinea pigs (and therefore skinny pigs, right?) are social animals. I have no problem keeping more than one. Problem is, it seems skinnies are very hard to find around my area. I'm in Nova Scotia. I talked with the pet store employees extensively about the skinny pig, but we all know pet store employees aren't always the most reliable for these things - the training is just not complete enough. The girl running the cash said she keeps a guinea pig and her sister keeps a skinny pig. They play together, but she says she would never leave a skinny and guinea pig alone together, and she would certainly not house them together. Apparently, the guinea pig would pick on the skinny pig, and because of their delicate skin as compared to the normal playmates of a guinea pig this would be extremely dangerous.

My first question would be, does anyone know where I can find a skinny pig around Atlantic Canada? A rescue, preferably. I've searched kijiji and craigslist and whatnot, as well as all local shelters I'm aware of.

Next, can I keep a skinny with a regular guinea pig? If I can't, would it be a terrible idea to keep a skinny pig alone for any length of time?

Hi and welcome!

I am ever so sorry that you have had such a tough time!

Not sure whether I can help you locating any skinny pigs where you are. Sadly, there are no good guinea pig rescues listed for your state (not that there are many in Canada, anyway) on Guinea Lynx, who we are sharing our mutual rescue lists with. :(

On the upside, yes, you can keep skinnies and normal piggies together. Several of our members do.
We have got information on skinnies in this thread here:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/caring-for-skinny-guinea-pigs.38166/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/skinny-pigs-and-clothes.122798/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/skinny-and-other-piggies.118133/

Best of luck in your search! it is great that you are looking for pre-loved piggies, but it can be quite difficult in some parts of the world and when you are looking for very specific piggies (either for a special, more unusual breed or an older age or some de-sexed piggies, especially sows etc.)

Thank you! Question, what is the general standpoint on shipping? Do any rescues ship guineas/skinnies at cost or is it detrimental to their health?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back