Skinny (and Guinea) Pig Licking Behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilies4lace

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently got two male skinny pigs, Ishmael and Ranidmere, and I've noticed some cute but quirky behaviors in them. Both of them are big into licking me; basically, if they have access to any unexposed skin they will plop down and begin to lick (and nibble) at me. At first I thought it was something on my skin; salt maybe, however Ishmael will do it after I've showered so I know there's nothing tantalizing on me :P I've always had female guinea pigs, and none of them have ever done this. Is this a positive behaviour or should I be concerned about dental or diet issues? I've had Ishmael for less than a week, and got Randimere (who is quite ill) last night. I would like to think they just find me awesome and are showing their affection, but I thought I'd check to see if this could be something else before I got too enamoured with the behaviour :P

Also, Ishmael is very into it. If I make him stop and pet him instead, he wheeks and wheeks until I let him go back to it.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hi to me it's a sign they like and trust you :nod:
Sorry to hear about Randimere being ill. I hope the vets have found the cause and the medicine works quickly!

lilies4lace

New Born Pup
Reaction score
haha, oh good. I was hoping it was that, but they're new and I'm very concerned about their health issues (being a new mother and all :P).

I got Randimere from a woman who was going to release him into a field, because she no longer wanted to take care of him after the people who originally got him returned him (their dog attacked him :( ). I took him to the vet today, and he has a URI and Chlamydial eye infection, plus a fungal skin infection (his skin is cracked and bleeding :/ The poor thing screams whenever he tries to scratch himself). He's on antibiotics, antifungals and pain meds and will have a follow up apt. in 2 weeks to see if he need intravenous antibiotics instead. Its also why I was concerned about the licking... I don't want it to be a sign of something else :/

Also, the two are quarantined from each other, in case anyone was panicking about it :P If Randimere's infections aren't recurrent, I will try introduce the two within 2-3 months.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Oh that poor little man :no:
Well done for rescuing thanks :yahoo:
Have a read about intros on here there's som great advice. If your having problems start a thread in behaviour and our experts will help :nod:

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Have a good look at the top of each section that's where you'll find the threads with all the info. Or do a search.
You could start a thread in illness you'll get some great advice and tips on caring for Randimere

Status
Not open for further replies.