• Issues with online booking at The Cat & Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. Read more here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Skinny pig questions

HeatherRose

Teenage Guinea Pig
I just got a skinny pig two days ago and have never had one before. He is getting along great with my little herd so far but I have a few questions about his care.

His poops are enormous compared to my other piggies, is this normal? They are nicely shaped and look normal, just so much bigger.

I have read they need to eat more that furry pigs, should I give him more veggies too or just make sure the hay is always full?

I took him outside with my herd last night and he loved it! I always have the run under a tree in the shade and we stay right there with them the whole time. We stay out for about half an hour to an hour. Last night it was about 75 degrees (Fahrenheit) and not humid at all so I figured it was a nice temp for him. What is too hot or cold for him? Are there signs to look for if he is too hot or cold?
Thanks in advance for any help! This strange little creature has already captured my heart and I want to do what is best for him!

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
Skinnies are great! Your new little one is so cute!

His poop size will be normal, my skinnies do huge poops and its because they eat more fibre than hairies :)

They do eat more food but I don't give mine anything extra in the veg dept, just make sure hay is always in constant supply as always.

When it comes to outside I always go with the rule of if its warm and shaded then they will be happy, skinnies soon tell you they are cold by huddling in shelters, corners etc for warmth. If it's warm enough for you to be out in the shade in shorts and tshirts then they should be fine. On the hot end of the scale if it's too warm outside for your hairy pigs then it's too warm for the skinnies, that is the best way to work it

Hope this helps :)

P.s, also, don't mess with putting creams, oils etc on his skin unless he has a particular skin problem. Too many people oil their pigs up all the time, blocking their pores and possibly causing more problems. If it isn't broken, don't fix it :)

HeatherRose

Teenage Guinea Pig
Skinnies are great! Your new little one is so cute!

His poop size will be normal, my skinnies do huge poops and its because they eat more fibre than hairies :)

They do eat more food but I don't give mine anything extra in the veg dept, just make sure hay is always in constant supply as always.

When it comes to outside I always go with the rule of if its warm and shaded then they will be happy, skinnies soon tell you they are cold by huddling in shelters, corners etc for warmth. If it's warm enough for you to be out in the shade in shorts and tshirts then they should be fine. On the hot end of the scale if it's too warm outside for your hairy pigs then it's too warm for the skinnies, that is the best way to work it

Hope this helps :)

P.s, also, don't mess with putting creams, oils etc on his skin unless he has a particular skin problem. Too many people oil their pigs up all the time, blocking their pores and possibly causing more problems. If it isn't broken, don't fix it :)
Thanks for the advice! Sven’s skin looks great except for the scars, I have never bathed my furry pigs, so I’m not one to put oils on or anything like that. I just let them be their natural selves, unless they got sick and had runny stools or something like that. I just got a big roll of vet bed which I am loving, and I think the piggies love too! I vacuum poops twice a day, so the cage stays pretty clean.

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
Fab, apart from those hints above just enjoy your skinny, they really are big personalities!

HeatherRose

Teenage Guinea Pig
One more question, Sven is really hard to catch to pick him up. Once I get him he seems to enjoy some lap time and being stroked on his nose and head. Is he just skiddish from maybe not being handled much before (I’m not sure about how much they handled him) or is it his skin being sensitive to touch or something?

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
They are a little more sensitive yes, I find that mine can be hit and miss when it comes to lap time. Both enjoy being out, having a chin/head scratch and eating treats, but not a fan of being cuddled at all. I always make sure my hands aren't cold before I handle them too :D

helen105281

Forum Donator 2017/18
I have also found that my skinnies poos are bigger too, is he neutered? that usually makes poos smaller but my Ronnie's are still huge. Like Ruth, I don't put anything on their skin apart from a spray called Humilac if they get a bit dry, it is once every month or so though and only when needed. Skinnies are such characters.