• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skinny- pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just got Alice a white black and tan aby. She's 750g. I'm worried. I can feel her hip bones.

she also doens't seem happy with the company of my pigs, she got scratched on her ear. She's also breathing very quick and seems very anxious. I'm really worried because this is how it strarted with Bee, it was the first thing we noticed.

can you take her out from the others?

i found my skinny Angel didnt take well to my group how old is she?

stress can make them lose weight x

Noo she's not a skinny pig, she's a hairy pig that's skinny... if that makes sense.

I've got her out wiht me having cuddles. But her hearts beating pretty fast she seems so scared. xox

also the breathing and weight loss could indicate heart troubles. freddy was like that the breathing was due to fluid on his chest.

reading again it really sounds like freddy was. x

It's like every beat rocks her body :( I don't know what to do. Maybe that's why lilly and the other girls didn't want her there, maybe she's not very well.

xox

best thing is to get the vet to do an xray and our vet did an ECG most vets can hear it with a stethascope too then they can do a xray to determine the exact problem. although the cost to find out was a bit high his heart meds are not too costly and he has a massive new lease of life. :)

Aww, bless her. Can you get hold of Laura on the guinea pig helpline and see if she can suggest anything?

Big hugs to both of you! I hope it's nothing serious and she feels better soon. x

Do you mean Olive from donna? the pigs might not like her as she is a bossy cow i know cos i was guna have her but she bullied my boss pig so i didnt get her shes had a hysterectomy and she is probably petrified as youve only had her a little while on of mine ive had three months still jumps everytime i touch her I'm sure she will be ok just leave her for a few days

when they wont let them eat, drink, chase them, block off entry wholes in pig loos, nips, where pysical bullying is nasy biting and teeth chattering jumping in the face to bite them, both are just as bad, with mental bullying they tolerate the guinea pig been in the cage with them but stop them from doing things all that can have a big impact on them ie weightloss, hairloss, run down and in some cases death.

Well make's sense now but shes only had the guinea pig 5 mins hardly enough time to sort out any bullying or heirarchy issues and if she put two bowls in the cage til she can see how they are then alice can't be guarding both at once

hi guys just to say lexybee has been locked out but says thanks for the info an will keep us posted. think she is going to the vet when it opens if she settles down or emergency vet if she doesn't. :)

Okay:

I've had Olive (Alice) for a day now, Donna said 24 hours should be long enough to sort out some issues. She wasn't happy she was screaming. I tried to bond her in a new clean play pen with Karmina and blood was drawn. I left her with them and she was screaming, i've put he ron he rown and she seems happy. xo x

Well make's sense now but shes only had the guinea pig 5 mins hardly enough time to sort out any bullying or heirarchy issues and if she put two bowls in the cage til she can see how they are then alice can't be guarding both at once

I think the issue is, she thinks the pig is unwell. If a pig is not breathing normally then it needs checked, so in the event the pig is ill it's better not too stress her.

Okay:

I've had Olive (Alice) for a day now, Donna said 24 hours should be long enough to sort out some issues. She wasn't happy she was screaming. I tried to bond her in a new clean play pen with Karmina and blood was drawn. I left her with them and she was screaming, i've put he ron he rown and she seems happy. xo x

the fact that blood has been drawn is not good at all i would not put them back together now, you can re introduce in 2 or 3 days if she settles but i would house her next to them for 3 wks or so to see how they all react to been next to each other where they can see and sniff each other with out hurting each other,the bullying will have a massive stress affect on her, i would keep her away from the other and see if she settles down, was she like this when you got her? before you put them all together (breathing /heart rate) ?

if not i would be inclined to think it is linked to this?

introducing a new pig to an established group sometimes needs to be done with care over a period of time, sometimes introducing a new pig to a group already established does not work, regard or how long they have been together, the last thing she wants is her other guinea pigs falling out with each other which can happen some sows can be really *****y and wont take to another new one :(

No, she was fine. It's just today that it's started.
I know this sounds dumb, but it looked like what I have when I panic.
If she hasn't got better by tomorrow I will phone the emergncy vets without a hitch.
I think i'll see how it goes :) x

I know olive/alice is very bossy so that may be why shes getting stressed easy i hope shes ok tho she is a lovely piggy good luck lexy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back