Skittish Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm hoping this is in the right place but I'm sure it will be moved if not.
Anyway. I got Cookie and Beano more then 2 years ago and the were tamed about 3-4 months after that. But I got Peaches ( he is a boar) last May and he is still quite skittish so is his daughter Smudge who was born is August ( that was an accident, so there was no breeding ). I have been going through all the taming sessions with both of them but they are still scared of me. I understand that it will take some piggies longer then others but it has been nearly a year with Peaches and quite a while with Smudge. I was just wondering is there any reason to this and does anyone have any tips that help with taming.

I hope that you will find these tips here helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

Some guinea pigs can be very freaky by nature, but it is also transmitted if they come from a stressful background and their mum was a very frightened piggy. It can take years in some instances. Others of mine have come round after a year or two, but it was hard work in some instances.

I have got one piggy that was dumped on a rescue by a hobby breeder of the worst sort because she couldn't cope with her that has never relaxed and just doesn't like being handled. I have got her as being OK with being groomed etc, but she is still just tolerating it.

I have had Sophie over 2 years and she is only now just starting to enjoy cuddles. Don't worry if it takes time

Ok, thanks. I'm trying so hard and I suppose it will be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back