• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Skylights? Too Hot?

Lymaine

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all. My hubby and I are trying to think of ways to home our pigs indoors. He's agreed to a c&c cage in the spare room (only place it would fit) but the problem is that room gets a lot of sun light from the two skylights in there. We do not have covers for the skylights. Do you think they would get too hot? If so, any tips on how to keep them cool without buying skylight covers?

you should put a thermometer in the point where the cage will be. I also have a lot of sunlight into the room, although I have a light curtain which filters the rays. But I have air conditioning just above the cage; the temperature I have day and night is 25°C and 30-35% of humidity
100_6974.JPG
100_6801.JPG
100_6828.JPG
as you can see, there are sunrays but the ambient is cool.
Without air conditioning the temperature indoor would be 30°C and over... (a hell)
Be careful because sun rays are terrible in summer...

I personally think you would need some shade for the skylights.

Mine live in front of a patio door that gets unbelievably hot in summer due to full sunlight for the majority of the day. I have full length curtains that I keep drawn all day in hot weather and I manage to keep the room cool that way.

You could probably find some cheap skylight specific shades on Amazon. I'd say it's definitely safer to have them...if they are not to expensive you could try to get the thermo kind which are silver on the back to reflect the sun away and keep the room cooler.

Back