• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sleep well precious Wilbur

KatieK

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My precious boy Wilbur crossed over Rainbow Bridge yesterday, and I am heartbroken. I had always felt that Wilbur wouldn't make it to a ripe old age, and we nearly lost him last October when he had a sudden period of gut stasis. We nursed him back to health and with a selection of meds three times a day he was back to his happy, greedy, cheerful self. I feared it may be borrowed time, but it made every moment with him extra special. Then last Tuesday he got sick again, and stopped eating altogether, and I knew in my heart that this time it would be one fight too many. We went to see the wonderful Ellie at Derwent Valley Vets yesterday and she diagnosed probable underlying progressive kidney disease. The decision was made to help him into his forever sleep.

Wilbur came to us from Cavy Corner rescue in October 2016. He had been rescued from appalling living conditions and his story featured in a piece in the Guinea Pig magazine. He way so shy and nervous when he came to live with us, but over time developed into an incredibly loving pet, who absolutely adored his snuggles with this Mum. He was incredibly chatty, and extremely greedy - always wheeking when the fridge door opened or he heard the key to unlock the back door (grass time!). At breakfast time he would run backwards and forwards until his bowl arrived. He loved his treats and would start to eat them even before they were properly attached to his cage. His antics never failed to keep us amused and he always had big smile on his face. He had such a sweet nature, even through all the syringe feeds and the meds he never, once was anything but sweet and loving and I miss him so very terribly. There is a massive Wilbur shaped hole in my heart.

Named after the white pig in Charlotte's web, he truly was SOME PIG.

IMG_0086.JPGIMG_0277.JPGIMG_0615.jpg

I’m so sorry for your loss x He was gorgeous and looks very cheeky x it’s clear that you gave him an amazing life 😘

Aw, I am so sorry that you have lost Wilbur, sending you big hugs
Sleep tight little man x

Oh I'm so sorry.
You're beautiful tribute to a beautiful piggie has hit me and i had a moment.
You did so well with him and the pain of him gone is reflection of your love for Wilbur.
Rip little beauty. x

So sorry for your loss but what a wonderful little life he must have had with you after having being rescued! He is a gorgeous piggie, so sorry x

I'm so sorry for your loss xx
He looks a lot like my little Rupert who I lost on Monday :luv: sounds like you gave him a brilliant life xx
Sleep tight Wilbur, go and join Rupert for a nice scoff, he’s great for cuddles too :) xx

Alpacasqueak, I'm sure Wilbur would love Rupert. Wilbur had also been on a low calcium diet, so I hope they're munching on parsley together x

My precious boy Wilbur crossed over Rainbow Bridge yesterday, and I am heartbroken. I had always felt that Wilbur wouldn't make it to a ripe old age, and we nearly lost him last October when he had a sudden period of gut stasis. We nursed him back to health and with a selection of meds three times a day he was back to his happy, greedy, cheerful self. I feared it may be borrowed time, but it made every moment with him extra special. Then last Tuesday he got sick again, and stopped eating altogether, and I knew in my heart that this time it would be one fight too many. We went to see the wonderful Ellie at Derwent Valley Vets yesterday and she diagnosed probable underlying progressive kidney disease. The decision was made to help him into his forever sleep.

Wilbur came to us from Cavy Corner rescue in October 2016. He had been rescued from appalling living conditions and his story featured in a piece in the Guinea Pig magazine. He way so shy and nervous when he came to live with us, but over time developed into an incredibly loving pet, who absolutely adored his snuggles with this Mum. He was incredibly chatty, and extremely greedy - always wheeking when the fridge door opened or he heard the key to unlock the back door (grass time!). At breakfast time he would run backwards and forwards until his bowl arrived. He loved his treats and would start to eat them even before they were properly attached to his cage. His antics never failed to keep us amused and he always had big smile on his face. He had such a sweet nature, even through all the syringe feeds and the meds he never, once was anything but sweet and loving and I miss him so very terribly. There is a massive Wilbur shaped hole in my heart.

Named after the white pig in Charlotte's web, he truly was SOME PIG.

View attachment 113257View attachment 113258View attachment 113259

HUGS

I am so sorry for your loss!

Please cherish the fact that you have given Wilbur a life filled with love and good care.

Guinea pigs don't have a concept for life expectancy but they have very much a concept for happy days. You have given Wilbur many happy days and with your good care during and after GI stasis (which often has got an underlying cause), you have bought him half a year more of life - in guinea pig terms, this equates to about half a decade.
You can never choose when and what from your beloved ones, furry or haired. Wilbur was a loan from God; like so many special ones, what he wasn't given in terms of years, he has made up by living his life to the fullest. He was as lucky to find you as you were to find him because he leaves you with so many precious memories and a deeper understanding.

Give yourself time to grieve! However, if you continue to struggle with your grieving, please take the time to read this new guide here; you may find it helpful: Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children

Massive hugs to you, I am so very sorry for the loss of your gorgeous boy. I had the most fantastic life full of love with you. X

Sleep well handsome boy

RIP Wilbur
x x

What a beautiful boy. Take time as the Wilbur shaped hole in your heart heals. Popcorn free wonderful Wilbur xx

What a lovely tribute to such a handsome boy.
So sorry for your loss.
You gave Wilbur a life filled with love and care so now you need to care for yourself as you grieve

Back