• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

sleepy piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly_bean

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have 2 indoor piggie s ash and shadow, my flat is a very cold old victorian place. i myself find it ocld , but i was wondering do piggie hibernate? as shadow seems to , she lies so still liek sehs gone, but the * pick her up leggies go and she squeeks lol liek what are * doing mum i was sleeping , i weighed her shes akll fine not sick . i just have no idea about hibernation?

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No they dont hibernate

Maybe they're feeling the cold and like to snuggle to keep warm - can * turn any heating on?

jelly_bean

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have 1 heater in that room a convector, and it dsnt wrok:( i gave them a fleefie blankie to snuggle in but its only shadow that seems to be all sleepy .

jelly_bean

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ye she seems healthy,just sleeping :S very odd and iv no moies till next week to buy piggy warmers :L as I'm a student

sharonS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds unusual behaviour to me, a very quiet piggie sounds like a sick piggie to me I would get him checked over by a good vet.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Id agree, guinea pigs shouldnt be constantly sleeping - is she young? or mature?

jelly_bean

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
but shes eating drinking and poping all fine, but just not runnignabout mental like a loony piggie lol i mena i know shes sleeping , it not untill i actualy wake up by lifting her that she evn relieses i been in the cage lol, her sister ash seems fine runnsabout tips food bow and tells me off if i rattle my keys :P , they are both abotu 4 months old just reaching teen piggy years lol

Last edited:

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is very unusual for a pig that young to be so quiet, I would be concerned. When you say she sleeps a lot, how deeply does she seem to sleep? Will she only wake when you actually touch her? Can she hear normally? (Good test for this: set an alarm clock, preferably keep the pigs separate so they do not react to each others reactions. Every pig that can hear will react in some way, either by running away or by freezing. A deaf pig will not react at all).

Are her eyes bright - not dull and sunken? Is she gaining weight well?

jelly_bean

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
she is noramaly quiet unless wheeking at her cage buddie, but now * mwntion it it is possibly shes deaf? if i rattel keys ash grummbles but shado dose nothign same ifi have them out if they eat carpet ill clap so they stop but shadow dsnt ever actualy seem to hear me :S , i may take her to vet and see if they will chek her hearing :( ty

Status
Not open for further replies.