• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Slight head tilt - Enrofloxacin given

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodapops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there,
Wondered if someone could help.

I noticed my boy Homer had a slight head tilt yesterday and when running upstairs he appeared to be veering to the right - so i made an emergency appointment with my local pdsa.

They checked his eyes and ears and took some swabs - everything appeared to be fine (so signs of ear infection or ear mites) but to be on the safe side they have prescribed me with Enrofloxacin (Baytril) - 0.5ml to be given once per day (i think they've given me 5 days worth).

As i know some anti-biotics can be harsh on guinea pigs - is there anything i should be giving him besides the meds and is there anything i should look out for?

He's been eating and drinking and appears to be very normal in himself.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
You could give some probiotics about an hour after the baytril if you wish to. You can get them on the internet or from p@h, but I wouldn't worry too much since Homer is gladly not one of the piggies with an adverse reaction to baytril.

A slight head tilt is most often connected with an inner ear infection, so your vet wanted to be on the safe side. Hopefully, it turns out to be just "one of these" things" that rights itself again without us being any wiser.

Best of luck!

Sodapops

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Wiebke :)

I administered his first dose at around 10:00am and he's eaten some fresh grass within the last 30mins or so :)

He didn't like the taking of his meds - but he got lots of cuddles afterwards ;)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have made once the mistake of licking up a bit of baytril that had spilled onto my fingers and it is without doubt the most horrible thing that I have ever tasted! I can't blame anypig for not co-operating on this one! rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.