• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Slightly slanted incisors?

Emx93

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi,
Noticed at weekly health checks caramel has slightly slanted incisors, they aren't terribly slanted and she is well in herself, eating etc, she's always been a slow weight gainer and a bit skinny (543g at 5.5months) but she does gain weight. Am I right in thinking keep an eye for now as they are only slightly slanted? I've heard it's best not to let them be messed with unless they are causing problems?

Sorry the pictures aren't great!
IMG_20200830_214821~2.jpg

Hi,
Noticed at weekly health checks caramel has slightly slanted incisors, they aren't terribly slanted and she is well in herself, eating etc, she's always been a slow weight gainer and a bit skinny (543g at 5.5months) but she does gain weight. Am I right in thinking keep an eye for now as they are only slightly slanted? I've heard it's best not to let them be messed with unless they are causing problems?

Sorry the pictures aren't great!
View attachment 152490
Hi! Personally I would take her to a vet, even if they aren’t causing problems just to be on the safe side. But more experienced members on the forum can help you out! Caramel is adorable❤😻

Hi! Personally I would take her to a vet, even if they aren’t causing problems just to be on the safe side. But more experienced members on the forum can help you out! Caramel is adorable❤😻
Thankyou I will ask the vet on Friday when I take my tortoise for his mircrochip/health check! 💖

I would not take her to the vet if she is eating well, a poor unneeded dental can have disastrous consequences. Leave well alone unless she’s not eating and loosing weight x
Thankyou 💖 I was hoping this was the case! I will keep an eye and obviously if she's struggling or loosing weight or the slant becomes worse ill be straight to the vet! 😁 Hoping it's nothing!

A vet visit is never a bad idea, but I would say that you can get by without one, as long as you are keeping a very close eye on her. And by close, I mean weighing her every other day and monitoring food intake.
I had a piggy whose teeth were slanted for about 3 months, but was still eating well and active. However, it only took two days for his manageable dental issues because a much larger problem. The slanting of his front teeth was actually an indicator that his molars were over grown, and within that 2 day period his tongue became entrapped, infected and he was unable to eat. I was away for a day and a half (which is when he stopped eating) and in that time, he developed GI Stasis and lost nearly 200g of body weight. It took about a week of gut motility drugs, antibiotics and force feedings of critical care before he was even well enough to be anaesthetised to have his molars trimmed, and his health was never the same after that. It was a bit of a nightmare!
If I had caught his dental issues earlier by weighing him more frequently and more closely monitoring what he was eating, he may have had an even better outcome, and it would have probably been a lot less work on my end! It can be tough with multiple piggies, but trust me, it's worth the time!
Unfortunately, there isn't much vets can do for dental issues before they're actually major issues (because its all a balancing act of risks and benefits), but if you have the means, an xray could help to rule out molar issues- or, as I said, just keep a close eye :)

A vet visit is never a bad idea, but I would say that you can get by without one, as long as you are keeping a very close eye on her. And by close, I mean weighing her every other day and monitoring food intake.
I had a piggy whose teeth were slanted for about 3 months, but was still eating well and active. However, it only took two days for his manageable dental issues because a much larger problem. The slanting of his front teeth was actually an indicator that his molars were over grown, and within that 2 day period his tongue became entrapped, infected and he was unable to eat. I was away for a day and a half (which is when he stopped eating) and in that time, he developed GI Stasis and lost nearly 200g of body weight. It took about a week of gut motility drugs, antibiotics and force feedings of critical care before he was even well enough to be anaesthetised to have his molars trimmed, and his health was never the same after that. It was a bit of a nightmare!
If I had caught his dental issues earlier by weighing him more frequently and more closely monitoring what he was eating, he may have had an even better outcome, and it would have probably been a lot less work on my end! It can be tough with multiple piggies, but trust me, it's worth the time!
Unfortunately, there isn't much vets can do for dental issues before they're actually major issues (because its all a balancing act of risks and benefits), but if you have the means, an xray could help to rule out molar issues- or, as I said, just keep a close eye :)
Wow that's scary, dental issues have always been my worst nightmare! I will speak with the vets Friday when I'm there to ask if they'd like to check her back teeth, I'm obviously also keeping an extremely close eye on her :) thankyou for your input, dental issues seem to be a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of problem! x

I’ve seen inexperienced vets cause more problems than they solve, with anything dental. It is true that the sooner a problem is discovered the better the chance of a complete recovery, but in the hands of the wrong vet, it can all go horribly wrong. Is there any way you could bring your piggy to Northampton to see Simon or Kim Maddock? xx

I’ve seen inexperienced vets cause more problems than they solve, with anything dental. It is true that the sooner a problem is discovered the better the chance of a complete recovery, but in the hands of the wrong vet, it can all go horribly wrong. Is there any way you could bring your piggy to Northampton to see Simon or Kim Maddock? xx
Thankyou! I sure could if they open Sundays or in the next half term 😳 I could get to Ellie at matlock much sooner than that however :) I have a very good vet but I have never asked about her dental experience and if caramel needed a dental my vet isn't currently operating so she would have to refer anyway, she could however diagnose any potential problems so we know what we are dealing with? Caramel is only 5 and a half months, she seems very young for anything dental related 😱 xx

On closer inspection it seems she eats the soft Orchard hay no problems but is struggling with the stalky timothy and the treat oat hay, her mouth does look a little sore so hopefully she's just hay poked her mouth! I've emailed my vets and asked if I can book her with the exotics vet for a dental check (said bonus points if I can take her with the tortoise Friday! But I know there busy so will likely be a wait!) hopefully she doesn't need a dental but if she does I'll ask for a referral to matlock/Northampton xx

When I first got Eddie and Elvis the vet noticed Eddie's top incisors were slightly slanted but she said it wasn't much of a problem and they'd sort themself out which they did. While they were wonky Eddie had a tendency to bite down the side of strips of veg instead of just eating down from the end but that's the only thing I noticed that seemed to be caused by the slant. Hopefully Caramel won't need anything doing to hers either but I agree it wouldn't harm to get her checked out from @Larissa98 's experience

Dental issues are my worst nightmare! Hoping it's either nothing or she's hay poked her mouth!

Booked the little monkey in Friday just to have them checked :) at least our mind can hopefully be put at ease and we can get a referral to the right place should one be needed :)
View attachment 152606
You don’t need any referrals for the Cat and Rabbit Clinic in Northampton, if you need to go there x Wishing you both all the luck and it’s nothing to worry about

Thankyou I'm really hoping she's just hay poked her mouth and eaten funny as a result, l can't get to cat and rabbit in between school runs from where I am until the next half term but I could at a push get to matlock, I'm hoping no referral needed as nothing to worry about however! It's for my own piece of mind and the interest of catching any potential problems early xx

How strange! Just got her out to put in the carrier and... The bottoms are nearly levelled and the tops are slanting the opposite way to what they were slanting before 🤷‍♀️ hopefully this means it's sorting itself out and she did just hay poke her mouth! 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_103957.jpg
    IMG_20200904_103957.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3
Thankyou I'm really hoping she's just hay poked her mouth and eaten funny as a result, l can't get to cat and rabbit in between school runs from where I am until the next half term but I could at a push get to matlock, I'm hoping no referral needed as nothing to worry about however! It's for my own piece of mind and the interest of catching any potential problems early xx
The C&R do appointments on Saturday till 4.00 pm if that helps x

The C&R do appointments on Saturday till 4.00 pm if that helps x
Thankyou 💖 she's been to my vets today, all good 😁 just keep encouraging hay eating, it looks more like she's damaged them from chewing the mesh but they've checked her thoroughly and no overgrown molars or anything abnormal 😁

Back