• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Slugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kiraroo

Last night I went out to feed my guineas only to find what felt like a billion slugs on their hutches, round their hutches and in their hutches (much to my horror). I did what any self respecting woman did... went and got my OH to remove as many of them as we could find.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem? I guess the slugs are attracted to the food. I cant put slug pellets down because of my cats. Does anyone else have any other ideas of how to get rid of the slugs? Thanks

I use crushed shells as a barrier round plant pots etc. I buy them in a box from Woolworths. They can't cross the barrier so my plants stay safe but it doesn't kill them.

I've had this problem too. I found putting a thin trail of salt on the ground around the hutches kept the slugs away. I expected to find find shrivelled up dead slugs in the salt but they just seemed to know to keep away from it.

Poor you and poor guineas! So glad mine live inside.

I hate slugs more than anything else. Use salt - it's the safest, and will get rid of them.

ewwwww dont get me started on them things! I hate them... I went out once and it was dark, wanted to check the girls' bowls before I went bed, put my hand in the hutch and ewwww ewwwww ewwwwww, their bowl was full of slugs! I got the flash light out and they were everywhere.. it was horrible, so i took the girls in with me! lol

Next day, all I could see was trails where they had been :( Its horrible... I hate slugs, but I also hate killing them.. dont really like killing anything :( Tried crushed shells, and i'm sure the little sods tip-toed over it cause I found some in there, (Not as many this time)... In the end I got a new hutch, and it has smaller squares for the netting and I find I dont get them as much now... still find their trails over the top of the netting tho....

They are horrible arent they :(

xx

You can also you Sand or fine grit like the salt it stops them in there tracks or you could set a beer trap for them at least they die happy

I hate them too even dead ones are slimey YUK

karen

thanks everyone i will definitely try the salt idea. i didnt see any last night but we did remove about 15 the other day so perhaps the others are too scared to come out?

snugglypig said:
or you could set a beer trap for them at least they die happy

Oooooooh yes, they love that, a very shallow bowl of beer... but its a nasty way of dying really. even though they are probably too zonked out to notice.

They will have little slug parties along with cheap slug woman as well LOL ;D

ewww, I have just gone out to check on the girls before I hit the sack and ewwww ewwww ewwwwww, all in the food bowl, climbing up the sides and on the front... I had a fit and used a plastic bowl to flick them all off from the hutch....

I've had enough now... Its D day for them sluggers, the salt has come out! >:( >:( >:(

I just keep thinking of my ickle girls in the hutch with them all night :( They are sooo horrible :(

xx

i used a whole packet of salt last night going round the hutches, i've really had enough of the slugs and i feel awful for my babies too

Lucinda said:
Slugs are so repulsive I really don't care about killing them.

yep totally agree, I always put a salt line along the front of my sheds because the horrid things squeeze into the key gap now i put tissue in it but the salt does deter them, or we have used a slug pub or slug house its a special thing that you fill with Beer and they drown quite happily in the beer,
what are slugs for except for hedghog food? they are disgusting,
when my boys were young my evil (now dead) mother in law would take them slug hunting. she gave them a torch and a pot of salt them found them and delibertaly killed them in front of the boys, now i hate slugs almost as much as flies but that was nasty when I found out I stopped it, evil mare

i went to feed the pigs last night and there was 3 in Maude's hutch, I felt so bad that I brought her in and made a little enclosure for her in my spare bedroom. i've tried salt and beer, i think i'll try more beer again

Traps can be either store-bought or built at home. One time-honored device is the beer trap: a shallow pan or saucer (a plastic butter tub is a good depth) sunk about halfway into the ground and filled with beer. It lures the slugs with the scent of malt and yeast. Cut a few 1-inch-square doors at the soil level and use the lid to deflect rain, thus preventing dilution. Adding a dash of baker's yeast makes a beer trap more effective. Avoid the impulse to empty the trap each day, as most slugs are attracted by the dead bodies of their own kind, but the beer will lose its potency eventually, so refresh it every two or three days. An equally potent attractant can be concocted from 2 tablespoons of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of brewer's yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar mixed with 2 cups of warm water.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/snailsandslugs

Interesting site. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back