• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Small poo

J668

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve been pig sitting for my in-laws this week and have noticed that their boy pigs have much larger (longer) poo compared to my girl, Snowy.
Is that normal? Do boys have bigger poo?
I’ve seen threads on small poo before indictating dehydration or constipation. Snowy has soooo much hay and the picture attached is about 30 mins worth of poo (while I was cleaning out, she was sitting on her favourite cushion watching animal park!). She isn’t a big drinker though, which I did raise with the vet. She said that if the water is available and she’s weeing ok then she is either drinking when I don’t notice or just getting enough liquid from her veg.

Attachments

• 6CD947CC-06E1-4AFB-A505-25F2873B47C5.jpeg
    6CD947CC-06E1-4AFB-A505-25F2873B47C5.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 10
My girls are about 3 months and have much smaller poos than my 5 year old boar, Spud. I have always noticed that poo size is usually relative to the pig - those poos look pretty normal to me to be honest, but someone else may have a better eye than me!

I’ve been pig sitting for my in-laws this week and have noticed that their boy pigs have much larger (longer) poo compared to my girl, Snowy.
Is that normal? Do boys have bigger poo?
I’ve seen threads on small poo before indictating dehydration or constipation. Snowy has soooo much hay and the picture attached is about 30 mins worth of poo (while I was cleaning out, she was sitting on her favourite cushion watching animal park!). She isn’t a big drinker though, which I did raise with the vet. She said that if the water is available and she’s weeing ok then she is either drinking when I don’t notice or just getting enough liquid from her veg.
How old is your girl? They do pass smaller poos the smaller/younger they are (relative to their weight). To me they look quite healthy, there not dry. But there are a couple of pointed poos which might indicate a little bit more fibre is needed? All in all she is pooing which is great. Think you could try her with a small amount of pumpkin to eat? that’s high in fibre.

I don’t know her age she was our school pig but a change in headship meant that she wasn’t wanted anymore so she came home to live with me permanently. (Originally with her sister, who crossed the bridge last year). She was fully grown when the school got her in June 2015.
She eats a lot of hay and enjoys her nuggets. I probably only see her drink twice a week at the most. And her water bottle doesn’t go down between changes.
The vet says she is picture of health. Maybe it’s just her. I guess all pigs have slightly different ‘habits’ just as humans do.
I only wondered because her cousins’ poop is sooo much bigger.

Oh and she’s by no means small. A little portly at 1200g but her weight is very stable. It’s been within 10g every time she’s been weighed for the last year at least.

I guess the question is then, have her poos changed in size or shape? Or has she always passed them like in your picture? An adult pig which she is should have bigger poos than that, more like 1-2 cm in length (approx). Not that I’ve measured them or anything :P but I don’t know what the cause of small poos could be. I have seen poos like that once with my previous pig, who passed over the rainbow bridge (not because of that don’t worry). He started with a bout of diarrhoea then I syringe fed him as he wasn’t eating. The first set of poos were similar in size to your picture, I put it down to him not eating enough.

Little boar Theo does giant sausage poops compared to the much bigger lady piggies that get exactly the same diet! Our vet even complemented Theo on his extremely well formed giant poops :)

Back