• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Small Squishy Poops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caitlynn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig started having small squishy poops about a week ago. I figured it was just because I was giving her too much lettuce so I stopped giving her veggies for a couple of days and she seemed to be fine. I started giving her lettuce again - less than I did before - and carrots. She's been eating and drinking and running around like usual but I noticed today that the squishy poop is back. She's also a little gassy. I felt her tummy to make sure it wasn't bloat and it felt fine. She does look a little bloated today though. She doesn't sound like she's in pain. She wasn't a fan of me touching her sides but she never has been. My other guinea pig that's been on the same diet is absolutely fine. I've got them both eating hay right now. Should I just stop feeding her veggies for a bit again? It's possible that my mom could be giving her more lettuce than she needs.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would advise stopping the veg for a day and feed lots of hay - then as poo's return to normal I would drop the lettuce for a while, go for less watery veg such as pepper, coriander, carrot etc... maybe? See how it goes.
We had a piggy who preciously could eat certain veg got runny poo's and we had to overhaul her diet...

What type if lettuce is it?

As long as there is poo that is a good sign against a build up of gas. Well done for being on the ball with her.

caitlynn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would advise stopping the veg for a day and feed lots of hay - then as poo's return to normal I would drop the lettuce for a while, go for less watery veg such as pepper, coriander, carrot etc... maybe? See how it goes.
We had a piggy who preciously could eat certain veg got runny poo's and we had to overhaul her diet...

What type if lettuce is it?

As long as there is poo that is a good sign against a build up of gas. Well done for being on the ball with her.
Thank you so much for the help. I've been feeding her romaine.

caitlynn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How often would you say? and how many leaves?
It used to be about two or three times a day depending on whether my mom fed them in the morning or not. Now I've just been giving it to them once a day. I give them four leaves usually - two for each. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that one of them could've hogged most of it to herself.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely cut it down and see if that addresses the issue, that could be a lot of lettuce in a day up to 4/6 leaves each? Lettuce has a high water content you see.

If she stops pooing see a vet though or if the squishy poo's turn to diarrhoea.

Hopefully cutting the lettuce back will fix it, have a look at this thread for lots of food ideas https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...veg-and-fruit-list-with-vitamin-c-grading.42/

and balanced diet details https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

caitlynn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Definitely cut it down and see if that addresses the issue, that could be a lot of lettuce in a day up to 4/6 leaves each? Lettuce has a high water content you see.

If she stops pooing see a vet though or if the squishy poo's turn to diarrhoea.

Hopefully cutting the lettuce back will fix it, have a look at this thread for lots of food ideas https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...veg-and-fruit-list-with-vitamin-c-grading.42/

and balanced diet details https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/
Alright. Thank you so much.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Please cut down on the veg altogether until the poos have firmed up again for at least 24-48 houts, then slowly start re-introducing it. Make sure that the diet contains plenty of fibre to stabilise the guts and keep them going at optimum level. See a vet if the gassing is getting worse and the poo is not firming up
This thread here can help you work out how much and what to feed how often: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

Status
Not open for further replies.