• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Small wound on Back

Butterfluf

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm kind of panicking a bit I just found that one of my pigs has a small sore on her backside. She is with 3 other females and they get along great usually, they haven't shown any signs of fighting.

They have had trouble with mites, the vet said it was Chirodiscoides Caviae so the dust ones that feed off of dead skin not the burrowing ones. It could be self inflicted from itching but she hasn't done this before.

One of her cage mates is her mother who barbers her I think it is. Starlight (the Guinea pig with the wound) lays down and let's Lentil (mum) nibble at her backside area. Starlight doesn't make any fuss so it seemed that this was friendly and not aggressive as there's no chasing etc.

I'm stuck with what to do right now because it's late. It doesn't look serious but I would like to put something safe on it so that it doesn't infect or get worse.

She has always complained and tried to kick and nip me whenever I touch her backside area she absolutely hates it I always thought that was normal from reading.

She seems otherwise fine except for earlier today she had what seemed like a film coating on her eye which has since disappeared but I will attach pictures. Thank you

It doesn't look serious but I'm worried as I don't know the exact cause and I want to know if I can put anything on it that's safe. I have neem gel from gorgeous guineas but I don't know if that can go on wounds and soem tea tree gel but I don't know if that's safe.

As for human creams I have aqueous cream and maybe vaseline. If anyone has suggestions please let me know I won't put anything until I know for sure I'm just trying to think of what I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20200829_215529.jpg
    IMG_20200829_215529.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200829_215524.jpg
    IMG_20200829_215524.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200829_200334.jpg
    IMG_20200829_200334.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 9
Also this has only appeared within the last couple of hours because I had her out to look at the eye which has since cleared

Hi guys
I'm kind of panicking a bit I just found that one of my pigs has a small sore on her backside. She is with 3 other females and they get along great usually, they haven't shown any signs of fighting.

They have had trouble with mites, the vet said it was Chirodiscoides Caviae so the dust ones that feed off of dead skin not the burrowing ones. It could be self inflicted from itching but she hasn't done this before.

One of her cage mates is her mother who barbers her I think it is. Starlight (the Guinea pig with the wound) lays down and let's Lentil (mum) nibble at her backside area. Starlight doesn't make any fuss so it seemed that this was friendly and not aggressive as there's no chasing etc.

I'm stuck with what to do right now because it's late. It doesn't look serious but I would like to put something safe on it so that it doesn't infect or get worse.

She has always complained and tried to kick and nip me whenever I touch her backside area she absolutely hates it I always thought that was normal from reading.

She seems otherwise fine except for earlier today she had what seemed like a film coating on her eye which has since disappeared but I will attach pictures. Thank you

It doesn't look serious but I'm worried as I don't know the exact cause and I want to know if I can put anything on it that's safe. I have neem gel from gorgeous guineas but I don't know if that can go on wounds and soem tea tree gel but I don't know if that's safe.

As for human creams I have aqueous cream and maybe vaseline. If anyone has suggestions please let me know I won't put anything until I know for sure I'm just trying to think of what I have.

Hi!

Please do not home treat on spec. What treatment have you had from your vet and how often have you applied it?

Here is more information on any skin parasites: How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Hi!

Please do not home treat on spec. What treatment have you had from your vet and how often have you applied it?

Here is more information on any skin parasites: How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely
They had ivermectin injections a few months ago and had a 3 week spot on ivermectin treatment that finished 2 weeks ago now so I hoped they'd be gone by now. I am just worried about the sudden appearance of this wound within the last 2 hours that I checked her last.

Could It be some kind of obsessive thing like with some anxious dogs? She constantly li ks my hands and fingers

They had ivermectin injections a few months ago and had a 3 week spot on ivermectin treatment that finished 2 weeks ago now so I hoped they'd be gone by now. I am just worried about the sudden appearance of this wound within the last 2 hours that I checked her last.

Could It be some kind of obsessive thing like with some anxious dogs? She constantly li ks my hands and fingers

I would recommend to see the vet again after the bank holiday. There is obviously still a source of discomfort if a guinea pig self barbers.

I would recommend to see the vet again after the bank holiday. There is obviously still a source of discomfort if a guinea pig self barbers.
OK thank you, is the other Guinea pig barbering her normal?

OK thank you, is the other Guinea pig barbering her normal?

Our Ginger often barbers Oreo and has done since the start. Oreo doesn’t seem bothered by it and sometimes lays down with Ginger as Ginger eats her hair. Oreo is a long haired though so it doesn’t go down to the skin. I’d say it can be normal for them to do. Our latest addition, Nugget, chewed Oreo’s hair a bit too but I wonder if she was just copying! Leia our fourth one has never done it and Ginger never does it to any of the others, just Oreo. They all like to lick the others’ eyes though!

Our Ginger often barbers Oreo and has done since the start. Oreo doesn’t seem bothered by it and sometimes lays down with Ginger as Ginger eats her hair. Oreo is a long haired though so it doesn’t go down to the skin. I’d say it can be normal for them to do. Our latest addition, Nugget, chewed Oreo’s hair a bit too but I wonder if she was just copying! Leia our fourth one has never done it and Ginger never does it to any of the others, just Oreo. They all like to lick the others’ eyes though!
Yeah what is it with the eye licking too 😂. If it seems relatively normal she must of done it to herself because she never barbered to the skin so far

Yeah what is it with the eye licking too 😂. If it seems relatively normal she must of done it to herself because she never barbered to the skin so far

We have guessed that It’s a combo of they are cleaning each other’s eyes because they can’t clean their own and showing affection to each other. We’ve had The original three 3.5 years and Nugget since January and we didn’t notice it so much until maybe the past year! We do think they are getting soppier with each other as they didn’t used to lay with each other when they were younger but now we see them cuddling up to each other more and more and all the eye licking! 😂 Seriously how they go at it it’s a wonder they have any eyes left!

We have guessed that It’s a combo of they are cleaning each other’s eyes because they can’t clean their own and showing affection to each other. We’ve had The original three 3.5 years and Nugget since January and we didn’t notice it so much until maybe the past year! We do think they are getting soppier with each other as they didn’t used to lay with each other when they were younger but now we see them cuddling up to each other more and more and all the eye licking! 😂 Seriously how they go at it it’s a wonder they have any eyes left!
Yeah I don't understand at all I know I wouldn't like it 😂😂😭

I know they can barber themselves but I’m not sure why or if it’s a sign or stress or illness. I think you get to know your own piggies and things they tend to do if you’re lucky enough to see them lots. Oreo does chew her own hair sometimes as part of her cleaning and she does look like she’s pulling it sometimes. Not much though and I’ve never seen any bold spots. She is a long haired though So she’d have a lot to eat to take it to the skin

I know they can barber themselves but I’m not sure why or if it’s a sign or stress or illness. I think you get to know your own piggies and things they tend to do if you’re lucky enough to see them lots. Oreo does chew her own hair sometimes as part of her cleaning and she does look like she’s pulling it sometimes. Not much though and I’ve never seen any bold spots. She is a long haired though So she’d have a lot to eat to take it to the skin
Yeah it's very strange for Starlight she must be stressed. They had the dust mites I think they're called for a while and I treated with spot on stuff I hoped they were gone but maybe not. They were meant to be less harmful ones according to the vet not the burrowing ones which is why it's strange she'd get so intense even if it was

Do you have a piggy savvy vet near by? My four have got the hay mites right now and it‘s a right pain! I‘ve tried washing them and it hasn’t worked so I’m waiting for their vet appointment. I shaved all four of them today to get rid of most of the eggs and they look hilarious poor things!

Do you have a piggy savvy vet near by? My four have got the hay mites right now and it‘s a right pain! I‘ve tried washing them and it hasn’t worked so I’m waiting for their vet appointment. I shaved all four of them today to get rid of most of the eggs and they look hilarious poor things!
I never thought of shaving omg I might have to I'm sick of them 😭 there's only one exotic vet in Ireland and they're a 4-6hour round trip away from me. I have made the journey before but its just not going to be great for the pigs even if its the best care I can get. The nearest vet is a standard one who I have seen multiple times and they keep saying my pigs are fine and offer injections etc for the mites but I had those done before and they didn't fully work either and was very stressful for the babies

I never thought of shaving omg I might have to I'm sick of them 😭 there's only one exotic vet in Ireland and they're a 4-6hour round trip away from me. I have made the journey before but its just not going to be great for the pigs even if its the best care I can get. The nearest vet is a standard one who I have seen multiple times and they keep saying my pigs are fine and offer injections etc for the mites but I had those done before and they didn't fully work either and was very stressful for the babies

oh no I’m sorry. I’m In Southampton and don’t have a vet I trust either. I‘m a 4 hour round trip from the Cat and Rabbit clinic in Northampton which are known to be very very good. I took Ginger there when she developed an abscess under her chin. I went to three other closer “pig savvy“ vets who were before and they were useless and by the time I learnt about them and got her there she’d got a second abscess. They said she wouldn’t have made it if I was later. It’s so frustrating. I don’t know if I should try a new one on the vet locator I haven’t been to before or do the really long trips to Northampton. When it’s something like hay mites it makes me hesitate. Especially as all four probably need treating so god knows how much it’ll end up costing!

Having said that it might end up cheaper and more easily fixed for us both if we just go to the good far away ones. At least they should get the right treatment. Wiebke said to me her piggy got rid of them after 3 Stronghold injections 2 weeks apart. Maybe the normal vet didn’t give the right amount or didn’t do enough spaced apart to rid of all the egg cycles? I didn’t like taking them on the long drive crammed in the carrier but they were alright :) and Ginger was very very sick and she was fine.

I think shaving them is a good idea, I think Wiebke was the one who recommended it too because it can get rid of a lot of the eggs and things on the hair. I got a “quiet” pet clippers off amazon and used the 3mm guard so I didn’t accidentally cut them and did up to their ears/cheeks. I did just do their rumps the first time but thought I’d get as much away as I could. It grows back after all :) one thing I’d say is you’ll need the evidence Of them to show the vet.

oh no I’m sorry. I’m In Southampton and don’t have a vet I trust either. I‘m a 4 hour round trip from the Cat and Rabbit clinic in Northampton which are known to be very very good. I took Ginger there when she developed an abscess under her chin. I went to three other closer “pig savvy“ vets who were before and they were useless and by the time I learnt about them and got her there she’d got a second abscess. They said she wouldn’t have made it if I was later. It’s so frustrating. I don’t know if I should try a new one on the vet locator I haven’t been to before or do the really long trips to Northampton. When it’s something like hay mites it makes me hesitate. Especially as all four probably need treating so god knows how much it’ll end up costing!

Having said that it might end up cheaper and more easily fixed for us both if we just go to the good far away ones. At least they should get the right treatment. Wiebke said to me her piggy got rid of them after 3 Stronghold injections 2 weeks apart. Maybe the normal vet didn’t give the right amount or didn’t do enough spaced apart to rid of all the egg cycles? I didn’t like taking them on the long drive crammed in the carrier but they were alright :) and Ginger was very very sick and she was fine.

I think shaving them is a good idea, I think Wiebke was the one who recommended it too because it can get rid of a lot of the eggs and things on the hair. I got a “quiet” pet clippers off amazon and used the 3mm guard so I didn’t accidentally cut them and did up to their ears/cheeks. I did just do their rumps the first time but thought I’d get as much away as I could. It grows back after all :) one thing I’d say is you’ll need the evidence Of them to show the vet.
Yes at least its not permanent. I'm sorry you're in the same situation with vets I don't understand why there aren't more exotic vets employed and around when Guinea pigs.. Rabbits birds etc are all really common pets! I will mention stronghold next time I'm, at the vet I'd just be worried they'd give the wrong doses because I don't really, trust them. I may have to go the far away one again when I get a day off 😭

Yeh that’s my concern too. I’d save the money and hassle personally and book an appointment at the good one and go on your day off. Not ideal I know! You will probably need to go back 1-2 weeks later for a second treatment and maybe a third time but if it means they’re gone once and for all and your mind will be at rest too then maybe it’s worth it. They can do a really good all over check up of your piggy at the same time.

I think I’ll get a pram so I can stick my four in it and make the most out of the trip by seeing the sights 😂

Yeh that’s my concern too. I’d save the money and hassle personally and book an appointment at the good one and go on your day off. Not ideal I know! You will probably need to go back 1-2 weeks later for a second treatment and maybe a third time but if it means they’re gone once and for all and your mind will be at rest too then maybe it’s worth it. They can do a really good all over check up of your piggy at the same time.

I think I’ll get a pram so I can stick my four in it and make the most out of the trip by seeing the sights 😂
Omg that'd be fab! Mine would jump out tho 😭

Back