• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Smelly female guinea pigs

Gracecb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, We have 4 female Guinea pigs in a very large c&c cage. They are on fleece. We have always had 4 in this cage over the last 8 years. Different Guinea pigs have come and gone but at the moment we have 3 two year olds and a six year old. Over the last 2 weeks we have noticed that the room in which the guinea pigs are kept has begun to smell. We have upped the cleaning and hay changing but no luck. Nothing else has changed. Our six year old does smell and we have given her a bath but she still smells.we are wondering if there is something wrong with our 6 year ol Any ideas?

Only a vet is going to be able to tell you if there is something wrong. It would be a good idea to have her checked out.
Is she sitting in one position for too long in wet patches?

Hi, We have 4 female Guinea pigs in a very large c&c cage. They are on fleece. We have always had 4 in this cage over the last 8 years. Different Guinea pigs have come and gone but at the moment we have 3 two year olds and a six year old. Over the last 2 weeks we have noticed that the room in which the guinea pigs are kept has begun to smell. We have upped the cleaning and hay changing but no luck. Nothing else has changed. Our six year old does smell and we have given her a bath but she still smells.we are wondering if there is something wrong with our 6 year ol Any ideas?

Hi!

Please have her vet checked for either a cystitis (especially sterile interstitial cystitis) or an infection in the womb/reproductive tract; ideally pretty promptly, especially if you notice her bits being swollen. Both problems can produce very smelly urine - it is always a sign of infection.

The reproductive tract needs to be investigated first before your vet can move on to the urinary tract, especially in older sows where there is a higher risk of things going wrong in the reproductive tract (womb or ovarian cysts). Sterile IC can unfortunately only be diagnosed by default after all other potential problems have been excluded but it would also manifest with other symptoms in the coming days.

If you are dealing with sterile interstitial IC, you may have to regularly clean the cage area with F10 solution as the smell can cling to plastic and intensify over time as it builds up and ripens. In my experience normal pet disinfectant may not be strong enough to get rid of it. I also wash the fleece of my IC piggy cages at a higher temperature.

I would definitely get the vet to check her over as if she is smelly, this could be a womb issue or a urinary issue. Either way she will need to see the vet. Sometimes a change in smell is the first indication you get of there being a problem, so best to get it checked out.

I would definitely get the vet to check her over as if she is smelly, this could be a womb issue or a urinary issue. Either way she will need to see the vet. Sometimes a change in smell is the first indication you get of there being a problem, so best to get it checked out.
Thank you everyone for your help. I've a visit to the vet booked for today. Hopefully we'll get a solution

Hopefully you will have a speedy recovery and a more fragrant piggy. Please do let us know.

Back