Smelly fleece or just smelly pigs?

Monykutzu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am just wondering what fleece cage liners you use? When I was looking around, about a couple of months ago everywhere seemed to be a long lead time so I went with a lady of FB. She told me she uses the same liners with her pigs and changes twice a week, some fleece liners with a nylon base. I went for those and although for the past couple of months they were ok, now they stink of "farm" even after washing them. I tried to always air dry them so I can't work out why they are still smelly. I use non-bio detergent and vinegar. I don't use a lot of detergent and I don't overload the washing machine. As soon as they are dry they smell so they have to be changed more often, because they smell as soon as put down... how do I fix this? I use puppy pads, old towels and then the liners on top. Any ideas welcome.

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t like the nylon supposed waterproof backed liners as they do tend to smell quite quickly. I use washable incontinence pads with fleece blanket on top, varying sizes of pads in high pee areas. Pads are changed every couple of days and I usually do a full clear out once per week. I don’t know why yours smell, though it can depend on whether they are boars or sows. If you clean too thoroughly boars can scent mark more and make quite a smell.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I only use fleece as bedding in summer (my two boys live in my shed) but I also do as Kath and use pads with a fleece blanket laid over the top and mine doesn’t smell (I’ve had the same fleece blankets for two and a half years)

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
But to work out if it is the pigs or the liners you could always buy a cheap fleece blanket and a pack of disposable puppy pads and see what happens if you use those for a week or two instead.

Monykutzu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
They are sows, so I don't think they mark (as much) as boars? I will give the blanket fleece a try, where do you buys these from? Thank you!

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Polar fleece, not the soft, silky one. I got mine from B&M and Asda do a two for £6 pack which I’ve found to be good. You’ll need to wash and dry three times without softener to get them to wick - fleece dried pretty quickly so it shouldn’t take long. If you’re any good with a sewing machine, pads can be made with fleece and wadding - lots of youtube postings showing you how it’s done.

Monykutzu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Polar fleece, not the soft, silky one. I got mine from B&M and Asda do a two for £6 pack which I’ve found to be good. You’ll need to wash and dry three times without softener to get them to wick - fleece dried pretty quickly so it shouldn’t take long. If you’re any good with a sewing machine, pads can be made with fleece and wadding - lots of youtube postings showing you how it’s done.
This is great, thank you for your reply. I don't have a sewing machine or know how to use one but I will get some fleece blankets and hopefully the smell will go away.

Monykutzu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How many times do you wash the fleece for it to wick? I've bought 4 of the Dunelm fleeces and washed them in cold water 4 times, haven't used any detergent, left them completely to dry in between and they water is pooling on top. Am I doing something wrong?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How many times do you wash the fleece for it to wick? I've bought 4 of the Dunelm fleeces and washed them in cold water 4 times, haven't used any detergent, left them completely to dry in between and they water is pooling on top. Am I doing something wrong?
wash on a normal temperature washing cycle with detergent (no softener) and some vinegar.