• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Smokey's Poorly :-( Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
he was ok until last night, ate his veg, hay and some pellets as usual BuT I noticed he hasn't pooped as much as normal. His daily clean didn't show any issues and he was moving round his playpen ok. Not squeaking when picked up or anything. Popped him back on his cage for night nights. Checked on him in the night, only a few poops and from what I can see no wee wees. Just checked on him now, he's in his house and quiet. He's had a bit of hay, but no pellets. No more poops or wees from a couple of hours previous. He's had some veg, but hasn't been persuaded out of his house yet. He's let me pick him up, he doesn't seem overly bloated and not distended or sore. Calling the vets at 8am for a quick appt. what should I be asking for?

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I am no expert but have you checked to see if Smokey has any impaction issues. I also check to see if there are any bits of hay that may have got stuck up there causing discomfort. I am sure an expert will come along soon and as the correct questions. I hope he improves.

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've checked and he doesn't appear to be. He had a couple of the 'special' ones earlier, which I offered to him and he took. Just so worried :-(

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I really hope he's ok.

I would get them to feel his abdomen to check for bloat of gas, and if they are able to do a conscious xray of his abdomen it would help. It may be that the lack of poos are the result of something else though which has made him eat less, such as pain or a brewing illness. If he has gone into gut stasis the vet may prescribe gut motility meds. If it is gas, then massage and fluids are key, plus Gripe water can help too. I personally don't use gut motility meds for gas but I know others do.

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The vets have kept him in to syringe feed. Little gassy but not full on gut stasis. Thank god! There's still movement. They are going to give him ranitidine and maybe metacloprimide (spelling) if needed. No x Ray needed as yet, but they will do conscious if needed. Thanks guys for your support. I'll keep you all posted x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Fingers firmly crossed! Good that you took him to the vets promptly.

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Knew the signs this time thank god! Soooo worried tho, he had in just over 12 months ago and has been doing so well since then. Full blown gut stasis last time tho....was touch and go. Much quicker this time and thanks to this forum, I knew what to ask and do x

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We've had wee AND some soft poo AND my little boy is hungry and eating a bit of veg and his critical care! I'm so SO pleased he's so much improved from this morning. He's been given ranitidine (not sure of exact dosage), metacam and 2 injections of emperid. Was shocked to see how different he was. He's got 2 vet nurses wrapped round his teeny, tiny paws. Checking up with the vets shortly and a recheck tomorrow morning. Hopefully all being well, out on Sunday x

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
It sounds like he's in the very best place to get him through this sudden crisis.
It took me a while, but now I have no hesitation in my piggies being kept in by my vets to ensure 24/7 care through an acute situation.

Whilst it's absolutely gutting they are not with you......You;re clearly looking after his interests very well.

Hold strong/Hugs/Lots of healing wheeks
x

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks @Pebble, that's brought tears to my eyes but nice ones, as that's so lovely.
Of course I would prefer my little boy @ home, but I have no concerns leaving him with our vets to help out. I am a very anxious slave and I think that anxiety shows when I attempt syringe feeding and that showed with Smokey. I have a great relationship with the vets and in particular the 2 nurses that smokey has charmed this evening x

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Bless........you;re clearly making the best decisions for your boy in terms of his care - no matter how emotionally upsetting it may be and how you may feel it may personally reflect on you,

You have shown strength, determination and conviction......and ultimately made some very difficult decisions.
You have done your boy so proud
Keep going - but realise you are not alone and we are here to support you behind the scenes if you need it.
x

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks hunni, it's much appreciated. Seems that my boy is continuing to 'poop like a good un' according to the nurse :-) still soft, but it's still on its way out. Not much hay yet, but he's liking the syringe feed and the bit of veg he's being offered - which is great!
I'm definitely not ready to give up on him yet x

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of update today folks. Soooo, my boy came home at lunchtime today. He is 1000% better than yesterday and hasn't lost much weight either thank god! He's been sent home with:
0.2ml ranitidine twice daily
0.66ml emeprid twice daily for 3 days, then 0.33ml twice daily for 2 days
6 drops of metacam once daily
No check up set as they have been really pleased with him :-)
He's not keen on meds at the best of times, so his veg has been on hand for this evenings meds. I know the metacam will go down better in the morning.
He's pooped and weed like a good in since he got home and has been into everything :-)
I'm so SO pleased that my boy is back and so thankful for the swift response from my vets and the nurses.
And of course, as always - thanks to you all on here. It's nice knowing that there is always someone around- no matter what time of day or night. Sorry for war and peace x

Last edited:

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
This is great news and I'm really impressed with your vets response (are you willing to PM their details to me please as i think we may need to add them to the vet locator!)

He is recovering from an epsiode that caused gut motility problems.......but do you have any idea why the problem developed in the first place?

Don;t wish to put a dampener on things but please be aware this "episodic" gut issue may have been caused by an,as yet, undiagnosed underlying issue - so please be hyperivgialnt for any changes in his behaviour and habits (eg faeces/urine output/appearance; change in preference/consumption of certain veggies/food, etc etc)

Hopefully it was just a reaction to veggies
x

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hope so too hun, but rest assured ANY changes - we will be straight back to the vets!
The nurses love having him there, he's a black/grey Peruvian and a handsome man, they love snuggling and giving him a brush. So long as they have something to offer, he's game lol x
I'll PM you the vets details, they are not classed as true exotic vets - but the 2 times (thankfully only 2) I've needed them with my boy; they have been brilliant x

smokeysmummy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Soooo I might just be being my normal anxious, impatient slave BUT I'm still freaking out about Smokey. I've been totally paranoid and counted poos since he came home
at 1.30pm yesterday. In 10 hours he'd done 77 but he's only done 95 in nearly 24 hours now, and only approx 30 since 5.30 ish. Am I totes overreacting as he's only been out of
The vets just over a day? will it take his guts longer to settle down after his episode and that his poop output is still good. He's not off his food at all and has been eating pretty much all that's been put in front of him. So I've held off syringe feeding as he's eating well and has had plenty of water today. X

Status
Not open for further replies.