• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sneezing Still after antibiotics Stop 21 days

Angela99

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there.... my Truffle has been on antibiotics for 3 weeks for crazy sneezing attacks which are not safe because he can't breathe when it happens. He is better with antibiotics and Antiinnflamatory but I missed a dose because he was very resistant... my mistake... I felt sorry for him... well next night he sneezed like crazy and I gave him meds right away.

How long does it take to clear a possible infection? Anyone here have piggies on antibiotics longer than 3 weeks? He's finished Sunday so I'm worried. I contacted vet as well... but wanted to hear from you. He's good now... and on his meds.

Thank you

Attachments

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I think it depends on the severity of the infection. I vaguely remember some piggies have been on antibiotics for a long while. What did the vet say?

Angela99

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think it depends on the severity of the infection. I vaguely remember some piggies have been on antibiotics for a long while. What did the vet say?
I haven't heard back yet. He suggested doing saline treatment under anesthesia to clear his sinuses but he's a small pig and I'd rather not risk it. I'm just curious if other pugs are on antibiotics for 2 months for stubborn infections. We don't know what it is. Possibly a piece of fleece stuck In his sinuses got infected...

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I think at this point you should be asking the vet to take swabs to send to a lab and see if there is a more effective antibiotic, also maybe an xray to look whats going on in his sinuses and chest? I also currently have a piggy who has a respiratory problem that seemed to clear then came back a few weeks later, she's on another course of baytril and seems to be getting better, but I will certainly be asking for more diagnostic tests for her- if an infection doesnt clear in a couple of weeks, you probably need a different antibiotic, and/or there is something else going on besides the infection... hope your piggy is ok x

Angela99

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think at this point you should be asking the vet to take swabs to send to a lab and see if there is a more effective antibiotic, also maybe an xray to look whats going on in his sinuses and chest? I also currently have a piggy who has a respiratory problem that seemed to clear then came back a few weeks later, she's on another course of baytril and seems to be getting better, but I will certainly be asking for more diagnostic tests for her- if an infection doesnt clear in a couple of weeks, you probably need a different antibiotic, and/or there is something else going on besides the infection... hope your piggy is ok x
Ok thanks so much! The antibiotics work when he takes it... but he'll be off in a couple days. Vet said to call them if sneezing returns and I'll get more antibiotics and reassess. But an x ray might be a good idea. Just confused if something is stuck in his sinuses. I can hear crackling when he breathes. I don't think I will want him under any anesthetic so I'm hoping it'll clear. I'll ask about x ray! Thanks. I hope your piggy is getting better and thanks for sharing so I understand that sometimes it takes more time.