• Potential Forum Meet - Manchester Saturday March 2nd Details here!.
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.
  • As from Wednesday, 30th January, Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic will be relocating to 1 The Drive, Northampton, NN1 4RY

Sneezing, wheezing, dont know whats going on

Lovethempiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi guys, i will say that these symptoms have been present since August at least which means its been 6 months or 5. Nibbles and potato have been suffereing with these symptoms for so long and i dont know what to do. I have gone to the veT MULTIPLE times and when i go it seems like nothing is wrong. Ive gone to two cavy savvy vets and my main one took a bunch of tests and found nothing. Ive gotten milloins of antibiotics and nothings worked. The doctors say thet seem pretty healthy and dont know why they are even at the vet. Let me tell you about my house. It is pretty warm but when we e open the door it is cold for like 5 minutes. They get timothy hay and it gets really dusty. In general theres a lot of dust and is really gard to clean up. I clean the cage everyday. So the vets say they seem fine but still give me some antibiotics becuase they sneezed a little, theyve been like this for a few months now, and I'm very confused pls help.

Willow&Sky

Junior Guinea Pig
Which bedding do they use? Mine sneezed more frequently when they were on wood shavings and would kick it up when burying under hay. I switched to fleece liners and that really helped. Just a suggestion, I'm not an expert I'm afraid.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2017/18
I agree about the bedding. What are you using as a substrate? You also say that the hay is dusty. That could also be contributing to the coughing and sneezing.

My boy once started hooting and sneezing. We took him to the vet but she said his lungs were clear and couldn’t find anything wrong. I assumed it was the wood shavings so changed the bedding. That didn’t work. It turned out it was dusty hay causing it

Lovethempiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
I agree about the bedding. What are you using as a substrate? You also say that the hay is dusty. That could also be contributing to the coughing and sneezing.

My boy once started hooting and sneezing. We took him to the vet but she said his lungs were clear and couldn’t find anything wrong. I assumed it was the wood shavings so changed the bedding. That didn’t work. It turned out it was dusty hay causing it
I have switched the hay but not a really good outcome. I switched to meadow hay and maybe a little less sneezing becuase I haven’t geard two in a row but sometimes they sneeze very loud and sometimes I think I hear a sneeze but it is really quite. About you the wheezing, I was told the it could’ve been that dust from the Timothy hat clogged it up. I’m not sure what to do. I will say they don’t liie this hay😂 they are eating and pooping and drinking AND DEFINITELY MOVING. I TOOK THEM OUT YESTERDAY AND THEY RAN LIKE BULLETS AROUND THE LIVING ROOM😂😂

Lovethempiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Hmm, sounds like a mystery. Maybe it is the hay or the bedding? Do you have any air fresheners in the room? That could be a possible cause
No air fresheners just the kitchen smells when we cook. We never cook anything extreme. Just normal food. But I doubt this is the cause. And the other aroma is their poop at the end of day when I’m about to clean their cage. And I must say, that’s stinky wth the pee😬 it truly is a mystery. I’ve had them for about a year and luckily they are doing just fine but I don’t know what is causing this. I gave them bell pepper this morning and they ate it perfectly fine. They are getting used to their hay but still want their old hay. I haven’t been to close to them for today cuz I woke up sick so I’m not getting near them. Only time I get beat them is when I give them their food. I wash my hands throughout becuase I don’t want them to get sick

G&C

Junior Guinea Pig
I have switched the hay but not a really good outcome. I switched to meadow hay and maybe a little less sneezing becuase I haven’t geard two in a row but sometimes they sneeze very loud and sometimes I think I hear a sneeze but it is really quite. About you the wheezing, I was told the it could’ve been that dust from the Timothy hat clogged it up. I’m not sure what to do. I will say they don’t liie this hay😂 they are eating and pooping and drinking AND DEFINITELY MOVING. I TOOK THEM OUT YESTERDAY AND THEY RAN LIKE BULLETS AROUND THE LIVING ROOM😂😂
Do you get dust extracted hay?