• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

sneezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
recently ches and maisie have both started sneezing quite a bit. the hay has been more dusty than normal recently but is still better than most (it's the dust free hay)

i've taken them a few times to the vets over the last year or so for this kind of thing but the vet can't find anything wrong with them. and from reading threads on here it seemed they were a bit hayfevery.

this time though they seem to be sneezing more than last time. maisie is wiping her nose. i've been weighing them and they are keeping stable weights, even increasing slightly. they are acting normally, popcorning and eating and drinking normally. toiletting is normal.

they definitely sneeze after i have added fresh hay. even when i let it settle first. i clean the hay area everyday and the whole cage every other day aswell.

our house has been quite cold lately. we didn't know the boiler setting etc was wrong so the air must have been quite damp in here.

they seem to go through phases of sneezing quite a bit (new hay and when the temperature drops) and then no sneezing for ages. :{

the only new thing is they are now having the timothy hay from the willow warren which they love. they have it in those feed balls so pull it out of there. it doesn't seem dusty though. and they started sneezing a bit before that anyway.

it could just be a dusty batch of DFH. it does seem like they were last year when they were hayfevery, but is it too early for that in february? :{

any advice please? i am taking the bunnies for their myxi vaccs this week so could take ches and maisie along again to have them checked over. it's quite a long journey though, 40mins each way, so i don't want to take them if i am just over-reacting again! rolleyes

my vet is amazing and if there was the slightest thing the other times he would have known for definite.

i don't know if i am just panicking. :{

forgot to say, i've read sudafed (?) can help? is there anything else that could help?

Your piggies may have a cold. A few of my piggies have had symptoms like yours, and it turned out to be a cold. If you are worried though, you might want to take them to the vet.

Best wishes to you and the piggies :)

Your piggies may have a cold. A few of my piggies have had symptoms like yours, and it turned out to be a cold. If you are worried though, you might want to take them to the vet.

Best wishes to you and the piggies :)

i didn't know they could get colds. thought it was respiratory infections or hayfever/allergy type symptoms.

is there any way to relieve their symtoms for them? olbas oil maybe? sudafed?

i put some olbas oil on a tissue and kind of wafted it over the cage. they both came running out, thought it was food, and quickly retreated in horror! they soon came back out for a 'reward for trauma caused'! :)) not heard a sneeze since but we'll see, they do it randomly.

i guess if it was a uri, they would be sneezing alot and it would be getting worse?

i do think it's the hay or they're hayfevery still but if they are still the same then i will take them to the vets the same time as the bunnies this week for peace of mind. just because the other times weren't a uri, doesn't mean this time might not be does it. and you can't be too careful about these things.

any other advice would be great though :)

well there has been one sneeze since i wafted the olbas oil but i'll see how they get on today. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back