• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Snip snip

baleofhay

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just dropped off these two goobers for their desexing. Russell and Owen don't know what's coming, poor boys. I sent along a big box of yummies so they will feel a little better about things. As young and healthy as they are I'm not overly worried lol. Funniest thing was Connie stomping out of her house squeaking as if I always fed them at 6am.

I should hear by lunch how things went. Fingers crossed.IMG_20190211_065327.jpg

talk with the vet over the phone. my boys went well during the procedure. they woke up, cuddled and are eating. the vet will take them home overnight to minitor but it seems like everything is all good! collecting them tomorrow morning <3 I miss them, but Wanda is helping me by being so cute in my lap.....and she literally just wee weed on me while typing. thanks Wanda :))

Glad to hear all has gone okay, poor chaps :( Still it will be great for them

Glad to hear everything went well for your boys.
The post-op advice on the forum is really good and certainly helped us when Ginger was neutered.

I have my boys! They are perfect. The stitches are very neat and the site looks great. They are eating like lil troopers. The vet also described how they love to squish together. They are very good friends for sure and I'm very happy to see them again. I've only had these boys for a couple months and they have well and truly occupied a place in my heart.

And yes this forum is really a blessing, I've been reading through the relevant threads. It's been a while since I've had a neutering so it's very good to study the wealth of info here.

My ideal goal is for the two boars and three sows to have their daily floor time together. My current cage set up isn't suitable for five, especially not with two boys. Of course I do understand it might just not work, introductions will be controlled carefully. If it does work, each one group's floor time will be longer as they don't have to take turns! One out of the three sows isn't spayed for a few reasons. At least the boys will get to greet the girls. Owen stands on his little castle everyday to peer into the girls'. Group photos also won't be so risky.

Right now I will get them home and administer lots of tlc!IMG_20190212_110548.jpg

bit of an update. two days on from the surgery, I've got my eyes on Russ. I'm not convinced that he is eating enough so am giving him some supplementary critical care. He's also getting a lot of wee on him, so am giving him warm damp patdowns with a towel. He's just not his usual bubbly self. Spoken to my vet on the phone and will be taking him back if he doesn't pick up in the next day or so. He is still passing poos and isn't totally lethargic and so I'm not declaring it an emergency just yet. Owen on the other hand is behaving as if nothing happened lol. I think Russ just needs some extra support. I know this is more health and illness now, but didnt want to make another thread.

Sometimes the anaesthetic does funny things to a guinea pig. He may just be still feeling a bit weird because of that. I would keep your eye on him as you are doing. It's good that you have noticed he's not feeling right. Have you got him on vet bed or some other some substrate where the wees can go straight through?

bit of an update. two days on from the surgery, I've got my eyes on Russ. I'm not convinced that he is eating enough so am giving him some supplementary critical care. He's also getting a lot of wee on him, so am giving him warm damp patdowns with a towel. He's just not his usual bubbly self. Spoken to my vet on the phone and will be taking him back if he doesn't pick up in the next day or so. He is still passing poos and isn't totally lethargic and so I'm not declaring it an emergency just yet. Owen on the other hand is behaving as if nothing happened lol. I think Russ just needs some extra support. I know this is more health and illness now, but didnt want to make another thread.
Best healing and chin up to the little guys. x

yes I have the wonderful stuff that is vet bed and am changing it couple times a day. I really hope it's just some residual effects of anesthetic. also the last piggy I had to cc was a geriatric sow. I use to serve it to her on a platter and shed gobble it all up no syringe required, no such luck with this young boy haha.

I would definitely keep an eye on him if he is not quite right. Hope he starts to feel better soon.

Oh god it really is now a health and illness thread. Russell has not produced any poo that I can find so we will be going to the vet in a couple of hours. Except I'm even more nervous as it's one I've never been too. The place that did the procedure is too far to get to today, my back up that I go to for emergency has no appointments, even emergencies avaliable. It must be vet day for everyone! Rang a couple others I know about and have finally found one on the internet. They say they know guinea pigs, but am nervous. Russ for his part is still bright and his gut doesn't feel too bloated at this time, but he is putting up a fuss about the cc. I guess this is a tale of caution that even young healthy pigs can have issues after routine procedures.

should I start a new thread over in h&i or okay to post still in this thread.

Oh dear poor you and poor Russ. Hope the vet you see can find out what the problem is. Keep us informed. Healing vibes from me and wheaky wheaks from my lot.

The vet turned out to be quite cavy savvy so a relief. I'm really finding in Australia that more and more vets are. The clinic sent me the notes:

HR 220, RR Sniffing. Temp - 38.5
Incision sites look good. Poo on thermometer looks a little pale and pasty.
Minimal gut sounds - Low back ground rumble but not a regular wave of noise.
Palpation of abdomen feels normal.
Gums pink and moist, CRT WNL.
Advised O to continue current meds and feeding of critical care and whatever he is willing to eat. Gave Metamide inj tonight and will be heading back to regular vet tomorrow for recheck.

I lost my 7yo boar, Sparrow in 2017 very suddenly to gut stasis so I'm relieved to be doing something before things are past point of no return. Also found a good vet for the future. They had a parrot saying hello in the waiting room and a bulldog asleep behind the desk. Nurses even snuck into to coo over Russ. He really is quite the charmer even if it took three sets of hands to keep him on the scales. All up, I feel I can relax a little but still waiting for him to start pooing. All I want for Valentine's Day is Russell's poo.

Sending healing vibes for Russ. You are doing all the right things and your vet sounds pretty cavy savvy.
I'm sure @VickiA or one of the other mods will move this post to Health & Illness if you feel it would get better feedback there. :)

Back