• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Snoozing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think my guineas often sleep with their eyes open. Is that normal?

well yes it is! they just rest! if they had their eyes shut the fluid in them would gather together and harden and they wouldnt be able to open their eyes! so they sleep with eyes open! i hope i have helped and i hope i have got this info correct!
violet x

Yeah all of mine sleep with their eyes open, very rare I see them shut... I love being able to see them dreaming, when their ears twitch and eyes flicker... I always wonder what they could be dreaming about

I have some piggies which shut their eyes however I would say that the majority of them do keep them open when sleeping. As lukey said, when a guinea pig is dreaming their ears flicker and sometimes their eyes will too. I remember the first time I saw my piggies dreaming it really scared me because I thought they might be having a mini seizure! lol

Ellie x

thanks for putting my mind at rest. I thought they probably did sleep with their eyes open. As for dreaming, I think mine are usually dreaming about strawberries and apples . . .

Only me, Tonic who sleeps with my eyes open, I give mummy the creeps!

Everyone else sleeps with them closed, even when napping!

Tonic x

I don't like to let my mummy catch us asleep with my eyes closed, I like to be on guard all the time, just in case she is sneaking in to weigh me or groom me!

Pip

This is an old thread, but I am pleased you've learnt something from it. :)

mine used to sleep with there eyes open but now they no me and that i wont hurt them they feel comfortable enough to close them, i think its because in the wild they have got to be on the look out for prey all the time thats why they sleep with there eyes open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back