• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Snowflake Bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkypanda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking into bedding and I like the look of snowflake. How is it different to dust extracted wood shavings? It's a lot more expensive and harder to get which I don't mind if it's good but not sure how it differs to wood shavings?

It's a lot softer than shavings, more absorbent, less smelly and doesn't blow round in the wind like shavings. Yes it's more expensive, but quality doesn't come cheap. ;)

Thanks. Sounds good. Where do you get it from? Amazon sells it which is handy. Also how long does a large pack last?

We love it x. I found a independent pet shop in my town had a bale of it for 12 or 14 pounds and they delivered for free. Worth asking local pet shops first as they may be able to add to their order each time you need it saving money and helping to buy local. Xx

Thanks. Will ask around as where I live is very horsey so I bet somewhere sells it. Which snowflake do you use? Supreme, soft chip or standard?

Gosh. Lots to think about. When I had Guinea pigs years ago they were just on any wood shavings and hay. Now it's very different and I want to get the right thing but equally don't want to break the bank.

You can normally expect to pay between £8-9 for a decent sized bale of shavings, snowflake softchip costs me £8.50 a bale, so it's quite favourable to other types of wood based bedding, only snowflake is better. What I have been using as a very close second whilst my petshop was unable to get snowflake, is Comfybed plus. It's a similar woodchip type bedding, it was a bigger bale for 50p less. ;)

Comfybed Plus

Thanks looking online it seems to be a lot more. Don't suppose you have a picture of your pigs in it do you? All the pictures seem to be pigs on fleece and as cute as they are I want to see the snowflake stuff.

What was comfy bed like? I see b and m sell that so I might be able to get it near.

This is the pigs on comfybed, or should I say, this is the pigs on the rabbit's comfybed nicking their food! :)) You can see the comfybed bag on the chair beside the door. ;)

WP_20160314_16_01_17_Pro.jpg

It does, the comybed smells a bit more of pine, but not overpowering. ;)

My bale lasts ages and snowflake is so much nicer to use than sawdust. I too came from the old school of thinking but love the new ways .... I have litter trained pigs! Lol x

Last two questions I promise

Have you ever used Aubiose? It looks the same but just wondered which is best.
Also does the poo stay on top of the bedding? The soft chip looks quite compact so I expect the poo to stay on top rather than sink like it might with wood shavings therefore making the cage smellier and look more messy. I will poop pick but would rather cut this down if possible.

Never used aubiose, the snowflake is compact but it locks in odours and doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as shavings. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back