• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Snuffly Nose (Rattling noise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My female pig who is 1.5 years has started making a rattling noise through her nose when she breathes, there is no noise from her chest. She is still very healthy and eating ok. I use dust extracted sawdust and hay as bedding and they live outside but are well covered up at night.

The noise comes and goes. She seems to do it more when she is eating Romaine Lettuce....none of the other 5 piggies do this.

Can anyone advise what it could be. Will take her to vets for check up if it does not clear. I have had pigs with chest infections before so i am certain it is not her chest but just a noise from her nose.

Thanks

Reaction score
took my piggie to the vets last night and she has no infections. But the vet told me not to use Vicks as it can cause piggies heart rate to increase and to use Olbas oil on a tissue placed in the environment.
I am now going to change thier bedding. since going to the vets she has not done the noise, suppose it is like us, ill then when go to doctors we suddenly get better....

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a pig who used to be snuffly. He was seen by my vet 3 x & each time nothing could be found, his lungs/chest was clear. The vet thought hayfever was the likely cause.

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi I'd say remove the sawdust. It can cause respiratory problems for pigs. It's fine to bed on newspaper and hay. It may help her nose :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.